Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.8v6 to v8 conversion help, please

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.8v6 to v8 conversion help, please

alright, i've had my 2000 camaro for a few months and recently blew a head gasket. I'm not terribly interested in fixing the v6, it was spunky but just not enough for me. I live in kansas, there are sooo many 5.3s running around i could easily find one for cheap. I know the 5.7 out of an actual camaro would be better and all, i just want alittle more fun for now. I have other vehicles and its ok if i have to take alittle while to do what i want with my camaro. But i do need some advice with this. How hard is it going to be to put a 5.3 out of a truck into that engine bay, and will it bold up to my 3.8s automatic transmision. any help would be greatly appriciated
Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Lets just say you will need everything.
Transmission
Rear end
fuel system - Rails, lines (v8s have a return system), fuel pump and its complete assembly.
5.3 motor's Oil pan and accessories won't work in the camaro for most part.
New gauge cluster and COMPLETE wiring harness for the car.
All Suspension, Motor mounts

I wouldn't tell you not to do it but you have to consider that it is a lot of work and lot small parts nickel/dime you to death.
Personally I wouldn't do a swap into a 4th gen fbody when I can just get a stock v8.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the info im looking for, im looking around on ebay, and anywhere else i can find somthing. once i figure out what im looking for then i'll find something. soooo 5.3 maybe not such a good deal even though cheaper

Quick Reply: 3.8v6 to v8 conversion help, please