Sponsored by
Don Hardy Race Cars

VSS questions

Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM   #1
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4
Default VSS questions

I'm installing a 02 LS1 with a 4x4 Dodge NV4500 manual transmission and Dana 300 transfer case behind it into a 85 Toyota 4Runner. The VSS for the 2wd transmission is in the tail shaft but the 4wd transmissions don't have a VSS. The VSS for 4wd's goes in the transfer case. The Dana 300 has a mechanical speedo.

What are my options for getting a VSS signal to the ECM? I planned on using the tach and speedo outputs from the ECM for electrical gauges.
itsmillertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Staging Lane
1997 BMW M3

Trader Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to Tongboy Send a message via MSN to Tongboy Send a message via Yahoo to Tongboy

I was going to say - what cluster are you using for speedo and ask if that had a VSS output...

tach output from the ECM is simple enough but the speedo output is (to my knowledge) only output via the serial interface that is chevy specific.

there are a few companies that make analogue to digital converters, dakota digital comes to mind. there are also ways of measuring driveshaft speed and related with various setups.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

I did quite a bit of research on this and installed a VSS in the GM Factory adapter between the trans and the transfercase. I know you have a different trans but hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction.

I followed what this guy did. Scroll down to post #542

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...735270&page=22

The trick is to find the reluctor ring that fits your transmissions output shaft. If Advance Adapters does not have it try Jags That Run. If neither has the exact ID you could put a Speedisleeve on the output shaft to make up any differences.

Other options are a Jags that run kit that installs at a Ujoint yoke. Their website shows it on the rear axel but I've seen guys install them at the output of the transfercase.

Since you don't need the VSS to help the transmission decide shift points, the JTR option would be an easier install and would not go to zero when the clutch is pushed in.

Hope this helps.

Ken
2005 5.3L Vortec L59 (LM7 Flex Fuel Version)
4L60E w/NP231Chevy/Jeep Hybrid Transfer Case
Featured in How to Swap GM LS Engines into Almost Anything (Updated Edition-2014)
Standalone Harness by Me

Last edited by Docked Wage; 04-26-2011 at 09:04 PM..
Docked Wage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

I've also seen guys take an upper timing gear from a 4 cylinder chrysler engine (it has 40 cogs) and machine it to fit on a yoke. Fab a bracket to hold the VSS and presto.

I found it in this old thread here on this site. http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conver...-question.html
Attached Thumbnails
VSS questions-upper-timing-gear-yoke-2.jpg   VSS questions-upper-timing-gear-yoke.jpg  
Featured in How to Swap GM LS Engines into Almost Anything (Updated Edition-2014)
Standalone Harness by Me

Last edited by Docked Wage; 04-26-2011 at 09:15 PM..
Old 04-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tongboy View Post
I was going to say - what cluster are you using for speedo and ask if that had a VSS output...

tach output from the ECM is simple enough but the speedo output is (to my knowledge) only output via the serial interface that is chevy specific.

there are a few companies that make analogue to digital converters, dakota digital comes to mind. there are also ways of measuring driveshaft speed and related with various setups.
Making my own cluster out of Marshall gauges. The tach and speedo should work as long as i can get the proper signal to the ecm. This is the speedo I plan to use: http://www.marshallinstruments.com/products/5152.cfm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docked Wage View Post
I did quite a bit of research on this and installed a VSS in the GM Factory adapter between the trans and the transfercase. I know you have a different trans but hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction.
This sounds like the answer. And this way the ecm will get the right info whether I am in fwd, rwd, 4wd, 2lo or 4lo. Now just to find the right reluctor wheel. What am I looking for? I read 40 teeth for auto's and 17 teeth for the T56. Or can I just find one that fits and make appropriate changes in the ecm?

Last edited by itsmillertime; 04-26-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

His transmission appeared to have more output shaft to work with than I do. And the tailhousing also seemed easier to modify. My output shaft is 1.5" but I'm not sure how far the transfer case will slide onto the output shaft's splines. Here are a few pics of mine:
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #7
Teching In
Garage is empty, add now

Also the kit he used was $250. I'm thinking about scavenging the speedo gear/ sensor from a T56 now and jerry rigging the gear onto my shaft and attempting to attach the sensor to the inside of the tail housing.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
This sounds like the answer. And this way the ecm will get the right info whether I am in fwd, rwd, 4wd, 2lo or 4lo. Now just to find the right reluctor wheel. What am I looking for? I read 40 teeth for auto's and 17 teeth for the T56. Or can I just find one that fits and make appropriate changes in the ecm?
I am only familiar with the 40 tooth application. You may want to have a discussion with the guy that is programming your PCM regarding how many teeth you should use considering your gearing ratios.
Standalone Harness by Me
Old 04-27-2011, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement