Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Russell quick disconnect fittings

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is a better illustration of the new fittings.
http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...799-641300.pdf
Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
Well at least I'm not the only one with this issue...This happened to me today on the way home from work...Plastic piece stayed on the fuel rail but the aluminum piece popped off...Spewed fuel all over the place luckily not catching on fire because I was at full operating temp and everything was HOT!!! My heart sank when I was cruising and all of a sudden loss of power and a STRONG gas smell instantly...But I popped the alumnium piece back on and tugged on it and it would not budge?!?!?! It got me home but I'm nervous to drive it...
you can put an oring or wedge what the stock GM connector had in there to force the tabs on the plastic to stay engaged in the metal outer piece and zip tie it on or similar - it seems the vibration works them off over more more then a single heavy pull or tug
Old 05-26-2011, 01:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for posting this. I had a slight concern with my white clips looking abnormal but I didn't know it until someone else said something. I also believe it has to do with the annodize coating they use. I have the black fittings and it looks the same exact way. Since the Corvette regulator won't be seen ill cut rubber hose the length of the regulator body to the an fitting to make sure it doesn't pop off.

It really is a shame that it even had to come to this. A huge company like that should never let customer satisfaction take a backseat like the way they did.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by monzaaddict
Wow. Wonder if they'll do a recall or exchange program or something. Is there a point of contact for this issue? I'd certainly like to get myself on the list of people who have had problems with the other design.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

After looking at this I believe I will be making my own nylon lines. It will look OEM. I have my eye on a Dorman kit right now.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jim_PA
Wow. Wonder if they'll do a recall or exchange program or something. Is there a point of contact for this issue? I'd certainly like to get myself on the list of people who have had problems with the other design.
Yes, I would like to know more about this... I just got mine not long ago, and want to swap them out for the new versions.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by monzaaddict
If I understand this correctly, they have removed any positive retention provision with this new design. It looks as though it's the rubber o-ring that retains the fitting (by friction) to the fuel line. This engineer is less confident with this design, unless I've overlooked/mis-understood something in that link.

Andy1
Old 05-26-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
After looking at this I believe I will be making my own nylon lines. It will look OEM. I have my eye on a Dorman kit right now.
Just got mine from some guy on ebay offering "damaged box" kits for $99 + actual shipping cost. Turned out to be about $115

I'm also considering just re-doing everything and getting rid of as many specialty/conversion fittings I've used. Should have done nylon/OE type lines from the start, it will be fairly cheap this way.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Andy1
If I understand this correctly, they have removed any positive retention provision with this new design. It looks as though it's the rubber o-ring that retains the fitting (by friction) to the fuel line. This engineer is less confident with this design, unless I've overlooked/mis-understood something in that link.

Andy1
Think I found the answer to my doubts of the design. It's not immediately clear in that link, but the nut in the illustration is slotted and radially slips over the swaged portion of the GM line. This does make it a positive retention system. The Russell catalog page (under new products) clearly shows the slot in the nut. I feel better now.

Ditto to the question: Are they going to exchange/recall the old one's? I've got 3 @ $16 each, so that's $48........

Andy1
Old 05-26-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

I can't find a pic of the black style with the new design... Are they also redesigned ??
Old 05-26-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Andy1
Are they going to exchange/recall the old one's?

Andy1
I'm no lawyer, but seems like it would be law suit material if they don't at least put out some kind of recall notice on them.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Resident

I can't find a pic of the black style with the new design... Are they also redesigned ??
There is a black and a blue catalogged on the Russell site, but it looks like re-designed one's are only avaiable in a -8AN (the catalog/new products section is a bit confusing). Anyone know different?

Andy1
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Why not http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...10551/10002/-1use this instead. Then use the typical An fittings. Cheaper than the SS compression fittings
Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Why not http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...10551/10002/-1use this instead. Then use the typical An fittings. Cheaper than the SS compression fittings
Might be OK on aluminum line, but don't try and use it on steel. Besides, I saw somewhere they only have a 50 PSI rating...
Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

http://russellperformance.com/mc/adapt_fit/fuel.shtml

-8 AN male to 3/8" SAE EFI Female Push on Fitting red/blue (644000)* black (644003)*

* Fits LT1, LT4, and LS1 (pressure side).

8 AN ??? I thought stock hose was 6 AN

And what's with the old pic ?? Can't they update their **** ? It's like only THE MOST IMPORTANT FUEL CONNECTION ! at the block over the headers ! sheesh.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

Swagelok makes an excellent product, no doubt about that!

John, have you ever had a failure with a Swagelok tube fitting on a fuel line? I have been told that you shouldn't use compression fittings on fuel lines, however, I know this isn't your typical compression fitting. I have one on my fuel rail, feel pretty good about it, and have not had a problem with it yet. I had a nice discussion with my local distributor (very knowledgeable) and he felt that the application would be fine.

Originally Posted by John McGraw
Yep, and the Parker line is also completely compatible with the Swageloc as well and is less expensive.
Swagelok insists that you should never use any other brand component with a Swagelok fitting. So if you are going to use a Swagelok fitting, use the whole fitting - don't mix and match the small parts with Parker brand, etc.

Originally Posted by John McGraw
The Swageloc fittings are also available in brass as well at considerably less money.
Is brass suitable for fuel line use? I used brass on mine but I am thinking about changing it. I heard that the brass will react with the fuel and eventually cause the fuel to gum up.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Might be OK on aluminum line, but don't try and use it on steel. Besides, I saw somewhere they only have a 50 PSI rating...
I just got off the line with Jegs tech. They said the hardline AN adapter (555-110551) fittings are rated to 250psi. Good enough for me to at least try it out
Old 06-01-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

ANOTHER ONE POPPED TODAY!!! WTF?!?!?! It was the fitting at the return line off the vette filter...I didn't realize it this time until the truck puttered to a stop and died...I must've been spewing fuel as I was going down the road cause the tank went bone dry!!! I will be replacing ALL of mine and plan on speaking with Russell/Edelbrock tomorrow!!! I know this IS NOT a user error as I remember testing them for locking upon intial installation...
Old 06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ANOTHER ONE POPPED TODAY!!! WTF?!?!?! It was the fitting at the return line off the vette filter...I didn't realize it this time until the truck puttered to a stop and died...I must've been spewing fuel as I was going down the road cause the tank went bone dry!!! I will be replacing ALL of mine and plan on speaking with Russell/Edelbrock tomorrow!!! I know this IS NOT a user error as I remember testing them for locking upon intial installation...
Wow! I need to go with the Dorman kit and make it OEM style fittings. I'm glad nothing bad happened. Nothing IMO is more important that oil and fuel fittings that don't leak.Especially with our fiberglass cars.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Resident

I also know that my fuel system is only pushing about 55~58 PSI and nothing over so it's not too high of fuel pressure popping them off...

Quick Reply: Russell quick disconnect fittings