Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause coolant to seep ftom Header bolt???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would cause coolant to seep ftom Header bolt???

I have about 1 hour of run time on my LQ9, and I started to see coolant seeping from only one header bolt. This worries me... Headers are Edelbrock A-body swap headers installed with bolts that came with kit and anti-seize. Does this seepage mean there is a crack in the water jacket and it is spilling into the header bolt hole??? Thanks!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

header bolts should not go into coolant passages at all. Make sure the leakage isn't from a higher place on the motor and just seeping around to the header bolts, otherwise you have a cracked head possibly.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

which side? on an ls1 you have a port right next to the last header bolt on the back passenger head. If there is no plug in it then it will leak a lot. That could be what you are seeing, or the plug could be leaking.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the header bolt out and see if there is a a bigger leak, somebody could have bottomed out a bolt in that hole and crack or broken out the bottom of it. If that's the case put some sealer on the bolt. I've used thwe copper colored permatex silicone when I ran in to this issuse on a non-LS motor with aluminium heads

Quick Reply: What would cause coolant to seep ftom Header bolt???