Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1/ls2 68 camaro ... what is the best way to lower car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1/ls2 68 camaro ... what is the best way to lower car?

I posted something similar to this a while back but can seem to find it, so im reposting it... Im trying to find the best way to lower my ls2 68 camaro. What lowering spring should i run that also has a decent ride. Ive noticed they do not offer a lower spring with a ls1/ ls2 in mind... only bb and sb... which i would believe the ls2 weights less than the small block chevy. Also, if i were to go coil over, which should i buy... keeping price in mind. Let me know what set ups you guys are running. also, prices of each route thanks.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

im not 100% what the question is but let me try and take a stab at it: i would find out what kind of engine the springs are "made" for, whether it be bb or sm chevy engines. then find the "complete" weight of those engines and compare it to the weight of your LS based engine you are using. estimate the ride height according to that... and if your not happy with the outcome you could always go lower by trimming the lowering spring you bought. (if you dont cut too much you will be fine[less than one coil is what most people will tell you], chip foose and many other builders do it all the time to perfect the vehicles stance)
Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Rai;15041373]im not 100% what the question is but let me try and take a stab at it: i would find out what kind of engine the springs are "made" for, whether it be bb or sm chevy engines. then find the "complete" weight of those engines and compare it to the weight of your LS based engine you are using. estimate the ride height according to that... and if your not happy with the outcome you could always go lower by trimming the lowering spring you bought. (if you dont cut too much you will be fine[less than one coil is what most people will tell you], chip foose and many other builders do it all the time to perfect the vehicles stance)[/QUOTE

I've seen people cutting springs, but i was worried bout changing the spring rate. If i were to cut a set of springs would i cut a set of stock sb chevy springs or a set of drop springs? On the other hand some people are using coil overs such as Qa1s or heidts.. i dont wanna modify the subframe with a mount. what is the best option for this route. thanks
Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car with a ls1/tvs blower and stock small block non-AC coils with 1 full coil cut.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by c6matt
my car with a ls1/tvs blower and stock small block non-AC coils with 1 full coil cut.
I just pm'd you. haha .. So that is a factory front spring cut? Does it still ride decent?
Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Usually cutting the smaller end of the coil well increase spring rate by about 10%.. due to the tight coil being cut off. (general rule of thumb)...
Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a new set of front springs that were custom tailored to my engine, accessories, and tranny package and they might as well been for a 4wd truck. It lifted the front of my car terribly. I pulled the springs out and cut one round out of them and it sits perfect and rides great. I bought springs for a SBC w/air and automatic. The back was the same thing. I bought all new leaf springs from Classic Muscle. I bought the multi leafs, new bushings, etc.etc. and when everything was tightened down it looked like I had air shocks on the back. It was jacked up to the point the shocks were the only thing keeping it from going higher. I preloaded the suspension before I tightened any bolts and it still rode like an 80's hot rod. I called the guys back and they told me to get it out and run the **** out of it. So I did and every time I came back from a flogging session it would sag an 1" lower. This repeated itself to the point it was squating. I ended up having to get a leaf added to bring it back up once it settled in. Hope this helps a little. Just make sure you let the springs settle before you start cutting anything.

Quick Reply: ls1/ls2 68 camaro ... what is the best way to lower car?