Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What all does it take to convert to a third gen steering box into a 1st gen camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all does it take to convert to a third gen steering box into a 1st gen camaro

So, i have a 68 camaro and im going to run an 06 gto ls2 in it. I heard and seen some builds running 87-92 iron z28 power steering boxes in the first gens... I was wondering wait all it takes to install them, such as coupler, bolts, power steering hoses, fittings, and steering box arm, etc... where would i get these parts and prices if possible... thanks let me know
Old 06-15-2011, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

As far as fitting go, you will need metric fittings on the box side, since you're on LS1Tech I'm assuming you swapped to a LSX. In this case you can make some stock power steering hoses work. There was a thread about this about a month ago, do a search for Camaro power steering hose or something along those lines.

I didn't do this in a 1st gen, but in a 2nd gen, either way the box should bolt up. You will need a coupler, don't have the part# by the one in my '78 TA works.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 AM
On The Tree

Found the thread, it was for 2nd gen not 1st gen. My mistake, but I don't see why it shouldn't work in your case. The very last post is by a guy who did it in a 1st gen

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...en-f-body.html

Last edited by battsup; 06-15-2011 at 01:33 AM.

Quick Reply: What all does it take to convert to a third gen steering box into a 1st gen camaro