Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I really need Headers ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Do I really need Headers ?

Ok I'm at a point where I find I'm up-grading myself into the Poor House, something has got to go! So my question is can it be the Headers.

My swap is an 07 TB SS LS2 into a 68 Chevelle convertible, plain Jane no options 3200 lb car. Shouldn't I be able to live with a 400 hp car with slight modifications ?

Cam, Headers,FAST, Stall, Ported, Underdrive ect. ect. my head is spinning.

This is what I would like to settle with, a small Cam for Hotrod Night bling, Port Match Intake & Exhaust manifold and some low end CAI setup.

I set my engine in the frame this week and the stock exhaust manifolds fit perfect with 1" drivers side and a 1/2" passenger side at the Flange. Can I do any Porting to the stock exhaust manifolds that will improve their Flow and what type of Coating can I use on them that will hold up & improve their looks.

Thanks, Tony

Last edited by tmcmillan5; 06-16-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Tony... ebay headers are cheap. around 150.00 - 200.00 plus shipping.

There is a company in Los Angeles that is called extrude hone & they can port your exhaust manifolds ( with hydraulic press & abrasive putty)...but i think its kinda expensive. check into both options
Old 06-16-2011, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

You only need headers if you plan on making 400 to 500 H.P.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock cast exhaust manifolds are pretty good anymore. Some guys actually prefer cast manifolds to headers, especially shorty headers. The cast ones are cheap, wont rust out and cut both noise and underhood exhaust temps.

If they fit, go ahead and quit!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

I used stock manifolds just like the ones you have in your picture.
I smoothed them out with various grinders and had them ceramic coated.

They look great.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd use the stock manifolds.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Teching In

I'm having the same thoughts as you. I'm putting a LS2 into a 67 Chevelle. Some say F body manifolds will work. If I could get the clearance that you have, I'd go with manifolds. Anybody tried TBSS manifolds in a 67 A body?
Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have LS6 Vette headers on my swap (because they fit the chassis) and intend on keeping them. They'll support 400HP, won't leak, and have real nice heat shields. If you put on a nice exhaust system, you should be just fine......I say keep 'em.

Andy1
Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

For a basicly stock engine....should be fine.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loaded question that is really a "Depends" answer ! LOL...

No = Engine will run fine with factory equipement, and run as the engine was designed for.

Yes = if you want to be cool, have all of the bolt ones and just hang with the cool kids

Maybe = If your intention is to increase power for a specific reason and would have a valid reason to have them, Yes..

It's the ....

"Do I need them ?" .. NO or not really...!.

"Do I want them".. YES !
Old 06-17-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you want more power, go with headers. dont spend ANY money on manifolds, its a waste. "porting" them will get you .04hp, coating them is dumb because when you do wanna swap em out, you're going to have a set of $300 manifolds you cant get rid of...

headers are one of the most basic performance modifications you can do to this engine. dont waste money on shorties, either. long tubes will net you roughly 30hp/30ftlbs at the crank. a dyno tune will net you roughly the same, and a well thought out air intake will net you 10hp or so.

if you plan on doing a cam, do headers too. and dont install some bullshit "thumper" cam or something from a comp or crane cams catalog either, install a cam designed by an ls1 vendor, something thats been tested and proven.

an underdrive pulley is also something to think about, as is an aftermarket intake manifold. both are worth power, it just gets to a point of deminishing hp/dollar return. an intake is gonna be worth a solid 15hp, maybe more. also, despite what people say, a single plane intake like the victor JR is NOT going to make a fuel injected engine soft down low. its only going to make it more responsive. the more you do to this engine, the more power you're going to make, the better throttle response you're going to get, the more torque you're going to make, all while remaining very docile and drivable (so long as you have a good tune).

cam, headers, cold air intake, and a tune is worth 80-110hp.

Last edited by kmracer; 06-17-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey man i had the same issue as you, I just kept the manifolds and got the car running/driving. Later i found a set of used headers and threw em on. Just change em later if you want em. I filled my "needs" list before my "wants" list cuz i lose interest when im just staring at an unuseable car, once it ran it sparked my interest again, if only for a while lol ha!!

Quick Reply: Do I really need Headers ?