Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter turning in on postion

Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter turning in on postion

When I turn my key to the first position the starter immediately comes on and will stay on until the key is turned back to off. If the ECM is not plugged in the accessories work in the first key position, with the ECM plugged up the starter turn immediately. Any suggestions?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

engine swap? what motor? what year? using stock fuse block I assume?

some of the later PCM's had a CRANK REQUEST wire, and the PCM controlled the starter relay based on signal it got on CRANK REQUEST circuit.

Without knowing year of the harness/pcm impossible to know what your issue might be.

attached is the starting circuit for 2005 vortec truck.
Attached Thumbnails Starter turning in on postion-starting-schematic.gif  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Thanks, for the reply. The swap is a LS1 out of a 2004 GTO that has a stand alone harness and fuse block. It is going in a 87 944 Turbo.

I think it is the ignition module. There is no resistance when the key is turned and it doesn't rebound back to run when it is turned to start. The key can be turned until it stops at the end and stays there, it doesn't rebound.

The part I can't figure out is when the PCM is hooked up the starter will turn, but in the ON position. When the PCM is disconnected the starter does nothing, but the radio and accessories will work.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

sounds like the igintion key cylinder could be at play aswell.I would have the starter wire seperatly from the ecm.just have it wired to the factory starter wire from the key cylinder going directly to the starter.then have vats etc on the ecm deleted to make it simple.but if the key itself does not rebound back..major sign of the tumblers and springs all in there can turn things on and off at anytime.good luck and hope you can find and fix the problem easily.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Launching!

I fixed the wiring, jumped the starter and it fired right up. Then shut down as VATS is still enabled. Now the PCM needs to be tuned. So, it has to be the ignition switch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter turning in on postion