Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of items and info for swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default List of items and info for swap

Guys, I have been reading for about the past two or three months trying to get ready for my swap. 2006 6.0 from a GTO in a 67 Camaro. I have been trying to put together a list of things I will need when reading through others swaps, but let me know if I am missing something or if something will not work. Thanks in advance!

Motor: 6.0 out of a 2006 GTO I am getting the motor and all acc. except a/c. I plan on using the computer and the harness and modifing it myself. The first question is the car is a t56 car but i want to go with a 4l60e, can the company i send the computer to add the correct program for the auto?

I plan on using the radiator and fans from the car and have it controlled by the computer. (this is out of a manual trans car, I'm going to have to have a remote trans cooler should i just get a rad. from an auto?)

Transmission: 4L60E- I have not purchased it yet, but are there certain years that will only fit this motor? Will need the harness to convert from t56 to 4l60e

Mounts: I think I am going to use the BRP conversion kit for the motor,trans mount, and possibly the oil pan. (if i have left over money maybe the haeders also) If i add a/c in the future (as money allows) i want to put it in the stock location low on the passenger side, i may notch the subframe now so i do not have to remove the engine later?

Throttle: I am getting the gas pedal from the car and want to retain the drive-by-wire (note to self, make sure the plug is retained)

Fuel: I need a tank anyway so i am going to get an in-tank pump and use the vette filter and regulator. Still reading to decide which tank fits/works better, pretty much a toss up.

Programming: Seems like the vendors on the site are very helpful and have a quick turnaround.

I want to retain my gauges, so i will probably use the x-cable system for speedo and manual senders for oil pressure and temp (using the tips in the stickys at the top!)

Am I missing anything, or is something not going to work? Please let me know, and thanks again!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=jlay;15065470]

Motor: 6.0 out of a 2006 GTO I am getting the motor and all acc. except a/c. I plan on using the computer and the harness and modifing it myself. The first question is the car is a t56 car but i want to go with a 4l60e, can the company i send the computer to add the correct program for the auto?

A = Yes, but you will also have to mod your harness to add the Transmission wires and connectors.

I plan on using the radiator and fans from the car and have it controlled by the computer. (this is out of a manual trans car, I'm going to have to have a remote trans cooler should i just get a rad. from an auto?)

A = Either way will work. might be a good idea to have both !?

Transmission: 4L60E- I have not purchased it yet, but are there certain years that will only fit this motor? Will need the harness to convert from t56 to 4l60e

A = 97 and up for Gen III / IV engine configure 4L60e's, well need to make sure you get the correct Flex-plate for a Gen III/IV engine.

Mounts: I think I am going to use the BRP conversion kit for the motor,trans mount, and possibly the oil pan. (if i have left over money maybe the haeders also) If i add a/c in the future (as money allows) i want to put it in the stock location low on the passenger side, i may notch the subframe now so i do not have to remove the engine later?

A = BRP is good, but they sit the engine up a bit high. they also recommend either the CTS-V or the LH8 (H3 hummer) pan.

Throttle: I am getting the gas pedal from the car and want to retain the drive-by-wire (note to self, make sure the plug is retained)

A = Correct.. get everything you can that is connected or can resell to help pay for the swap !

Fuel: I need a tank anyway so i am going to get an in-tank pump and use the vette filter and regulator. Still reading to decide which tank fits/works better, pretty much a toss up.

Programming: Seems like the vendors on the site are very helpful and have a quick turnaround.

A = Yes, most well provide good service..

I want to retain my gauges, so i will probably use the x-cable system for speedo and manual senders for oil pressure and temp (using the tips in the stickys at the top!)

A = Tip.. the PCM will not need the input for oil.. use the OEM one in the back / Top.. Break the black plastic parts off, drill and tap for your aftermarket sender / Fittings. Cheap ! you can use your car sender for the factory gauge if you want also. I have both the factory warning light and a aftermarket gauge using both the top/back and the oil bypass plate above the oil filter location.

You will need to make sure you get the Harness moded correct for the A4, need the TCC, PnP, etc that the M6 harness will not have. Read the Sticky for pin out and required accessories and switches/sensors. Might try and trade someone for a 4L60E and harness for your T56 parts.. !?
Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

On the BRP mounts, what is the problem with the motor being placed higher? Is this the reason I can put the a/c in the stock position when I notch the frame. If not BRP then which mount would be recommended?

I only bought the motor and needed accessories for my swap, i did not but the clutch/gear box. It was tempting to go that route, but I believe i will be much happier with the auto.(meaning the wife could drive.....you know, if the wife any happy....)

Any other feedback? This is exactly what I was looking for!

Last edited by jlay; 06-22-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 2nd gen BRP mounts were designed to use the H3/LH8 or the CTS-V pan, to make sure that the pan was at or above the engine X-Member, they raised the engine high to accomadate the extra +1" of the pans sump depth as compared to a F-body or Vette pan.

Nothing wrong if it works for you. Being higher and maybe forward, Yes, that would allow for the OEM compressor to fit.

Con's...?.. :
- Would have a Higher C/G
- Might cause contact with the Firewall/trans tunnel..
- Might cause excessive Drive Line Angle (with rear pinon) ?

but I think they designed around those areas (the Kit).

Auto/manual. your call to make you happy !
Old 07-03-2011, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Alright guys, after getting some information from some of those on here that have done the swap I have a fairly short list of parts I am going to order.

Engine and transmission mount-S&P: seems like this is a pretty good product with no fitment problems

Oil pan- Mast Motorsports: Even though it is pretty pricy ($429) I think it looks like the best engineered in my book.

Thanks again everyone, for all of the help and info!

Last edited by jlay; 07-07-2011 at 09:43 AM. Reason: not converting to auto
Old 07-07-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Well, After talking with some harness companies it looks like it will be cheaper to go with the T-56 setup the donor car had instead of the 4l60E. I would have to modify the harness as well as getting the TCM and some other parts to convert.
Looks like the wife will have to learn how to drive stick if she wants to drive the camaro!
The donor car was already set up with a z06 vette cluch/flywheel so should be pretty good.

I cant wait to get the motor, the GTO (donor car) was dyno'ed with the stock setup + headers and K&N at 388hp and 386 tq at the rear wheels! Should move the camaro pretty good!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Where are you going to get your harness?
I'm going to swap a 2002 LS1 and 4l60e into a 67 firebird, and I am trying to decide which to use. Also have you decided on a fuel pump/tank?

Thanks

Quick Reply: List of items and info for swap