Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the deal with Ebay turbo kits?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the deal with Ebay turbo kits?

I was looking at the universal kits that some shops are selling on Ebay they seem to be pretty complete but I'm sure its like other things. I don't want to buy junk but if they are decent it would be a pretty good deal. I don't know much about turbos yet other than how thay work that's about it. Thanks for any info
Old 06-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Launching!

Umm....IMO, Ebay and turbos should not be used in the same sentence. I do not trust Ebay when it comes to turbos, but..i did have a friend that bought a 50trim turbo from Ebay for his integra and he didnt have problems with them. Im not sure if he just got a really good one or he lucked out or what, but all the other opinons and horror stories ive heard, makes me stay away from Ebay turbos. Someone else might think differently, but i personally dont trust them.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 AM
Teching In

Either CarCraft or HotRod did an ebay turbo build a few months ago...they didn't rave about them but they also made good power cheap and they didn't fail immediately. They recommended that you heed the old 'get what you pay for' but worth a try on a shoestring budget
Old 06-23-2011, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Here ya go. Also remember to check the size of the turbo.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...252/index.html
Originally Posted by sikbrik
Either CarCraft or HotRod did an ebay turbo build a few months ago...they didn't rave about them but they also made good power cheap and they didn't fail immediately. They recommended that you heed the old 'get what you pay for' but worth a try on a shoestring budget
Old 06-23-2011, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

the general consensus is: useful junk
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
Here ya go. Also remember to check the size of the turbo.
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...252/index.html
Thanks for the link. Good article with a lot of detail going to save it may do something similar but with a better turbo.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
the general consensus is: useful junk
I figured that's what it was just trying to learn about them before I spend money. Thank you.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Launching!

You could go one step further and get a turbo off of a Dodge Cummins ,I cant remember what the size of them are or what they exactly came off of, but the Holsett HX turbos are VERY VERY popular with the import cars as far as i remember. I use to be in the Mitsubishi community and all i heard was that the Holsett turbos were a pretty good bang for the buck, however they normally needed to be rebuilt before strapping it on an engine and i would imagine now, the price of that turbo is climbing with the rising popularity with the DIY guys, but i figured it might be great for a V8 car though. You`ll have to figure everything out yourself like piping and fittings and what not, but thats the fun part i think.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whats the deal with Ebay turbo kits?