Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ac for chevelle!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ac for chevelle!

What do I need to mount a sanden compressor to an ls motor from an 06 truck using vintage air and they say gm will not work and I don't really like the relocate kits.Any help????
Old 06-22-2011, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What are you trying to swap into??? There is another builder on here who made a mount to locate the compresser low on passenger side, it worked in my A body...
Old 06-23-2011, 02:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I used the Kwik bracket on my cutlass, but if your engine is far enough forward, or you notch your crossmember, this one might work.
http://www.hhclassic.com/scripts/Par...lle&KeyNo=1471
Old 06-23-2011, 02:25 AM
Teching In

Mrhotrod69
I’m doing a Chevelle also a 68, I’m not that far yet but are you saying the A/C compressor that is on my LS6.0 is not going to work with a aftermarket A/C system?
Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Do a search here for variable displacement compressors. It will work but at reduced efficiency. They operate at different pressures.
Originally Posted by tatum1
Mrhotrod69
I’m doing a Chevelle also a 68, I’m not that far yet but are you saying the A/C compressor that is on my LS6.0 is not going to work with a aftermarket A/C system?
Old 06-23-2011, 09:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using the kwik brackets and a sanden 508 compressor. When used with vette accessories, it creates symmetry on the front accessory drive and doesn't look too bad IMO.

..actually ordering my vintage air stuff today, $1100 on the button (plus shipping), looking forward to it.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Red face

Originally Posted by tatum1
Mrhotrod69
You might want to check with your AC supplier, Vintage told me that some of the truck compressors will work, but not from the cars, something about a "temperature" system versus an on and off system. I put the Sanden on my 65 without notching the crossmember, build your mount and move the compressor ahead to work off the alt/wtr pump/p/s belt. I have a corvette drive on my LS2. I think it was "pistolpete" who had the template for the mount, I only modified the mount by milling the mount holes to have some adjustability on centering the belt on the pulley, works perfect.

Last edited by oldngray; 06-23-2011 at 09:36 AM. Reason: "forgot smething", I did NOT have to notch the crossmember
Old 06-23-2011, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

I like the Street and Performance passenger side low A/C bracket. It puts the compressor down low, like the OEM compressor. I just do not like the look of the compressor sitting up on top of the engine. No OEM compressor will fit on the Chevelle unless you are willing to notch the crossmember to clear it.

If you look real close in the following pic, you will see the Sanden compressor hiding down there.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-...3/IMG_0683.JPG

This pic shows a stock tensioner, but you will need to use a Katech or similar manual tensioner to prevent belt slip. I just had not put mine on yet. This is just a bunch of stuff to drive on a single belt!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-23-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by John McGraw
I No OEM compressor will fit on the Chevelle unless you are willing to notch the crossmember to clear it.

Regards, John McGraw

Not true John. If you move the engine foward a bit they will fit F-body anyway. At least it did on mine but I am running manifolds not headers. I think with all of the kits that include mounts and headers your statement is true.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Rocky,

You are correct. It also helps to be using a set of F body accessories as well.
I screwed around with mine trying to get the OEM compressor to fit with the Corvette accessories and finally just gave up. I had to move the engine so far forward that I would have had to do major oil pan modifications and the headers would have been a pain. I use the S&P brackets on both the wagon and the 65 Corvette, and I really do like them. I am not sure that I wanted to use the OEM compressor with the VA system, as they reccomended against it.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 06-24-2011, 12:56 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been doing some reading on A/C compressors lately and it looks like all of the f-body compressors were variable displacement which will lose efficiency when used with the VA setup. The truck compressors all seem to be fixed displacement which should work just fine.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Teching In

G-Body I hope your right about the truck compressor, that’s the one I have and will be running and I also have already notch out the frame for it.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:43 PM

What year, make and model is the compressor out of? I found a couple compressor mfg`s that list the specs for the compressors and I will double check yours.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 07 truck comp on dads chevelle with a vintage air kit.

On power tour in 97 degree heat we didn't need the fan all the way up to be more than comfortable.

One thing when you order the kit from vintage make sure you get straight fittings for the hoses to the comp. They sent me 150 degree ones that would not even bolt to the comp.

Getting the comp to fit didn't require notching the crossmember either. The trans moved fwd less than 1/4".

I moved the mount pads on the crossmember fwd and moved the mounts on the edelbrock swap brackets back so the bottom bolt on the stock motor mount shared a bolt with the edelbrock plates.

Also notched the back part of the comp bracket to clear the edelbrock plate.

Don't see how a 2 wire comp can be varible displacment if it is unless they have a valve changing pressure to the pump.

I am very happy with the performance of the kit.

Tim
Old 06-24-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ours is a Denso comp.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Don't see how a 2 wire comp can be varible displacment if it is unless they have a valve changing pressure to the pump.
They have a mechanical valve built into the side of the v7 (f-body) compressor which somehow changes the displacement. Found a few articles about it online but I havent taken one apart so I don`t fully understand how it works.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Thank you all for the help!!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Where do I get the edelbrock mount kit???

Quick Reply: Ac for chevelle!