Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3l burping issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3l burping issue

alright so i got an 2001 5.3l. been havin issues burping my system. the car doesnt run hot or anything but the waterpump is making popping noises like as if theres air bubbles in it. at the moment i have a ls2 waterpump with no thermostat (was given the waterpump without the thermostat and havent got to buy a thermostat yet). i had a ls1 waterpump that was makin the same noises thats why i put the ls2 one on. anyways ive done the vent hose burp thing, the raise the front of the car thing. i havent hooked up the heater yet.

it was pretty much a super budget build on like no money so everything is used.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

When you say you have not hooked up the heater yet do you mean you have a bypass hose on the inlet-outlets?
Old 06-23-2011, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

yes its bypassed.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

would my radiator cap be causing the issue? i bought one for a 2002 ls1 which is 18lbs. lookin at caps for a 2001 silverado and theyre rated at 15lbs.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt it, the pump isnt a truck one so 3 pounds wont hurt it, it could be from the missing thermostat, try throwing one in, but if its not running hot i wouldnt worry too much about it
Old 06-23-2011, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

yeah dont think its from the cap although i did get one to try and yup it still does it. im goin to try and fit a ls2 thermostat in there.

ive searched on here and a bunch of people have ran lsx motors without a thermostat for years and never had issues.

heres a vid of the awesome popcorn popping sound its making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPodrgjyK1I
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

To get mine to burp I went for a short drive with the radiator cap on half way so the system would not build pressure.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

alright well bought a thermostat for a 06 gto and put it in. seemed like it wasnt even workin cause it was still making the noise. drove the car with the cap on the first lock and it got too hot. then filled it up again and did some other stuff and went to get gas. pop the hood to see if i can hear anything and my waterpump is now leakin like crazy but wasnt makin the noise. yay!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

alright changed waterpumps and still wont burp. when i pull the steam tube off with the car cold it pushes air until steady water, but when i turn the car on nothing but steam comes out. aaaaaaaahhh this is pissing me off.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

alright tried a couple things today. cut off the little ball tab thing on the thermostat so its just a hole now. pulled the upper radiator hose and filled it up first with the steam tube on then off. did the same with the car running. with the car off itll spit air then straight water, when i turn the car on itll spit and just keep spitting.

heres a video of the car after its been idling for about 10 minutes. have my hose in the radiator and on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdB3DlmmBfE
Old 06-25-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's still getting air in the system, you may have a blown head gasket. These motors don't hardly ever have head gasket problems, but anything can happen. Get a block tester from the parts store and see if you are getting combustion gasses in your cooling system.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

i will have to try that next. i just did a pressure test and found out that i got 2 small leaks in my radiator and that my brand new 18lbs radiator cap only holds 16lbs of pressure.

the oil doesnt seem milky. but i will still try that.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

ah 2 waterpumps, 2 thermostats, no thermostat, new gaskets, flushed, pressure checked, spark plug check, raised car, shook car, drove car and still have air. theres no white smoke or other real signs of overheating. i havent got to block test it yet (waiting for my paycheck) all i wanna do is drive the damn thing again. aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

if its a headgasket i wanna know so i can start pullin the motor and buyin parts.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the ******* weirdest sound i've ever heard, and i do this every day... no lie. does it do this immediately on start up? just sometimes?

where is the highest point in the cooling system? you may want to install something like this at the highest point, or one of the ones you can find in the junkyard off an 90's pontiac or olds v6...

you can also make your life simple with...

http://www.bmpdesign.com/product-exe...arch_model/166

it uses compressed air to draw a vacuum on the system, then it sucks the coolant in, eliminating the chance of air pockets..
Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

and i highly doubt its the HG, you'd have alot of other symptoms. overheating, milkshake, rough idle, hard start, steam out the exhaust, loss of power, etc.

also, have you tried squeezing the upper rad to try and draw air to the upper portion of the radiator?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

yeah ive been tryin everything. i need to find someone local that might have one of those vacuum tools. i think the highest part of my cooing system is my radiator. it does not do it immediately, it only does it after its warmed up.

heres what i just did.

alright so i took the thermostat out to try something and changed the steam vent gaskets (were leaking). just got back from a 30-45 minute drive. cruised around, floored it a bunch of times, come to a stop and sit in gear, all that stuff except get on the freeway. still making the noise but not as much. ive owned a couple of cars that had blown head gaskets and this one isnt acting like one. i get paid tomorrow so i might just take it to my mechanic and see what he can find..

Quick Reply: 5.3l burping issue