Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I know this is sacrilegious, but...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know this is sacrilegious, but...

Hey guys, I know this goes against all things Chevy and Porsche, but...
I will be starting an engine swap with my 1984 Porsche 944. I have been thinking about swapping in an ls6, but I don't know if that is the best possible small block I can put in it. I have researched quite a bit and that seems to be the best but I want others opinions. Also, I have read about people making their ls series engine sound more exotic, like Bassani cats and titanium exhaust pipes and the like, but does anyone have any information as to how I can make an ls series engine sound more exotic.

Believe me, I love muscle cars, but I want to try something new. I also don't want the rumble of an ls coming out of my Porsche because I want people to be surprised that I have a very well built engine in my 2700 lb car.

I plan on building the engine myself and need some tips about this series of engines. But don't worry, I know the engine will fit and that is mates perfectly with the Porsche transaxle, I just want tips on the perfect engine for the perfect sleeper.

Thank you very much.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Wrong section fool. There is a hybrid sub forum.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Way to make him feel welcome.

Here's the conversion forum OP,
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/

The mods will probably move it anyway.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Twotwo probably thought he was on Yellow Bullet.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Teching In

I appreciate my thread being moved to the correct section, would hate to post something where it doesn't belong, lol.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would start with the engine's CAM, don't use anything that would idle rough like an American V8 Muscle car. Maybe keep the LSA on the higher side (maybe a different Duration) for smoother idling engine..? The as you were pointing to. it will then be up to the mufflers and pipes..

Good luck. I a know I am no expert on not trying to get a American Muscle sound.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Anyway, I am a mechanic in the military and will probably put about 10,000-15,000 in the car after every deployment so my pockets are occasionally deep so let me know what you think I can build. Was looking at the C5R but that just seems like way to much money. Remember, any ideas will be readily accepted, I am still in the planning phase.

Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
I would start with the engine's CAM, don't use anything that would idle rough like an American V8 Muscle car. Maybe keep the LSA on the higher side (maybe a different Duration) for smoother idling engine..? The as you were pointing to. it will then be up to the mufflers and pipes..

Good luck. I a know I am no expert on not trying to get a American Muscle sound.

I appreciate the info. I do however know that cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini use tubi style exhaust systems which are made of titanium, but they also have 12 smaller cylinders that don't create the lopey sound that American engines do.

But thanks again for the info, I will definitely keep it in mind.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

If you are wanting to make good power and it not be noticed I would consider talking to Geoff@EPS. He spec'd a cam for a guy with a stock LS6 that made 430rwhp with a stock idle. Something similar to that in your Porsche would be stupid fast.

Decide what your budget is and what you want from the car. Talk some of the sponsors on here and see what type of combo they can put together for you. The problem with asking a bunch of people on the internet is you are going to get 100 different replies and about 80% of them have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

Now if you have a bunch of time and can surf the boards and look at a bunch of different combinations then that's different but even then I would still talk to some sponsors. If I had to do it over again that's what I would have done. Good luck.

There have been a few people that have put LS engines in Porsches. If you do a search in the conversion/hybrid section you should find them.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An LS2 has everything and LS6 has plus a few extra cubes, 4 inch bore and a better block (plus a list of other improvements). An LS6 is a fine engine but getting a later LS2 or even LS3 would be a better starting point.

there is a thread in this section about porsche swaps. Had a lot of good links to places specializing in the swaps. Definitely good information there.

Don't know what to tell you about the sound. My first question is why would you want it to sound like anything other than a V8 cause that is the way God intended cars to sound. But I have read other ricer types talk about things like flat plane cranks to get that Ferrari sound.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Launching!

Go here http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/ that is the most active site with the best info for the 944 conversion. I am finishing up one now.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

Heres my build, https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...iscussion.html

you Wont be dissapointed!!! My only sugggestion would be to start with a 85.5 or later car for the updated interior, or a 87 or later car for the newer offset suspension. If you start with an NA, you will need a brake upgrade! I have done over 10 years of research and 3 years of building my car, If you have any questions I am happy to help. You can get your swap specific parts from TPC.

Mark
Old 07-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Teching In

Exotic engine sounds are a blend of multiple cams (not just small cams with a tight overlap), smaller bore sizes and tubing sizes (not necessarily material), shorter strokes, and generally higher RPM. An LS6 is going to have too large a bore, too long a stroke, and require too large of a pipe to really make it sound legit as anything other than a big V8. You might get it closer, but doubtful that it'll perform the way you want AND sound the way you want. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have to say for power and not being noticed. Maybe a nice turbo 6.0 is in order. Throw in a stock ls6 cam, and a nice tc76 and hello 500+ rwhp easily. You wouldn't even know it if it's idling.

Not for sure how much space is in there though after the motor is installed.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Launching!

You would have to be very creative to put a turbo on that combination. As far as exhaust note, I have been wondering the same thing as mine is nearing that stage. I have read that extending the two pipes off of the headers back to just behind the front seat area then merging into one pipe makes a more exotic sound than the other options, but I have not heard a sound clip.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To get the Ferrari lambo type sound is very very difficult, not only is it from smaller pistons cams and such, their valve angles make a huge difference, and theres nothing you can do to copy that.

My suggestion is a de-stroked supercharged engine. Something like a 6.0 block with a 4.8 crank that will let you rev it to hell. Then throw a blower on it for a higher pitched whine, and finde some Ferrari muffler for sale on ebay.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deathdealerdelta,

Getting back to your question about that exotic sound you want; 180 degree headers will really change the sound to a sort of 12 cylinder note (regardless of cam and tune). It gets rid of that thumpy exhaust note. The guy I'm helping to develop his 914 V8 track car went from Shoenfeld standard chassis headers to 180 degree headers (modified to fit) and it now sounds like nothing else on the track; yes a far more exotic sound. I looked at the Schoenfeld catalog where they only list 180's for an SBC; no LSx. If you really want that exotic sound of the 180's, then you probably need custom made headers for your application, but custom headers for any swap is not an uncommon practice. I believe the 914 uses the Schoenfeld part#180-2.

Andy1
Old 07-01-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Andy, I never heard of 180 degree headers before, so i googled them after reading this. Found a nice ls1 video on a vette, def sounds exotic to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZTb...eature=related
Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

One thing to consider is a non-turbo 944 will have a pretty high rear end ratio (3.90?). There is a 5th gear swap that will allow lower hiway rpm.
Do a little research on those issues because you may need to build a higher reving engine if you dont change it.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
Andy, I never heard of 180 degree headers before, so i googled them after reading this. Found a nice ls1 video on a vette, def sounds exotic to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZTb...eature=related
Wow, it sure does. That would sound right at home in the streets of Italy.

Quick Reply: I know this is sacrilegious, but...