Sponsored by:

57 chevy fuel gauge ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 57 chevy fuel gauge ?

Hi Folks

Have used the stock WS6 trans am fuel tank in my 57 LS1 conversion.

I want to retain standard appearing analogue gauges and notice that Autometer do a programmable fuel gauge. Anyone had any experience of this or similar products or did you go about it a different way?

No Dakotas please

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Swap the level sender with a 90ohm variant and most any analog gauge will work. mid 90's grand am's snap right on and are 90 ohm
Old 07-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pocket
Swap the level sender with a 90ohm variant and most any analog gauge will work. mid 90's grand am's snap right on and are 90 ohm
Thanks Pocket that's something I hadn't considered

Can't say I fancy taking the tank back out at the moment though!

Any other ideas also much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planning on running a 411PCM you can run a segment swap or find somebody with Tunercat to turn the fuel gauge output on. You can then accurately display what you have in your tank based on measurements -empty the tank and start adding a few gallons in at a time. I am running a 0-90ohm sender and a 0-90Autometer gauge.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
If you are planning on running a 411PCM you can run a segment swap or find somebody with Tunercat to turn the fuel gauge output on. You can then accurately display what you have in your tank based on measurements -empty the tank and start adding a few gallons in at a time. I am running a 0-90ohm sender and a 0-90Autometer gauge.
HMmmmmm Arizona TPI set up the WS6 PCM taking off all the unnecessary bits and make it more lively is that likely to be a 411pcm?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Any tweak in the PCM would be for the serial data stream for a modern gauge cluster. It wont drive ANY analog gauge

His gauge is expecting a signal direct from the tank and the easiest way to get one to satisfy the gauge is to replace the sender
Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pocket you are wrong. Did you read my reply? TC has a switch for a gas gauge output. Contact CalEditor if you want it done. It works with any analog gauge and I have a car to prove it with a stock sending unit and a Autometer in a 69 Camaro. Depending on how much time you spend on the testing on the filling of the tank you can get the gauge to read very accurately. First gen guys should take note as the gauge in those cars are notorously inaccurate in the bottom quarter of the tank due to it's shape. The aftermarket guys -Spectra would need to fill the tank in increments to get it right but the output should be spot on for the gauge. Currently I am on a 411 but I have a 243 that I am working on using as my final but it will have to do my A/C the way I want it.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually since you have a stock 4th gen tank you can easily get accurate readings with your gauge using the original tables for the 4th gen along with the proper output readings on the tune!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Actually since you have a stock 4th gen tank you can easily get accurate readings with your gauge using the original tables for the 4th gen along with the proper output readings on the tune!
Thanks for the response, superb!
One thing I forgot to mention is the original Fuel gauge didn't work prior to LS swap (checked sender, wires, etc, definitely gauge) Getting a repro gauge isn't a problem, but didn't want to waste money "if" replacing it with 40-240ohm gauge or programmable was the better option.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Pocket you are wrong. Did you read my reply? TC has a switch for a gas gauge output. Contact CalEditor if you want it done. It works with any analog gauge and I have a car to prove it with a stock sending unit and a Autometer in a 69 Camaro. Depending on how much time you spend on the testing on the filling of the tank you can get the gauge to read very accurately. First gen guys should take note as the gauge in those cars are notorously inaccurate in the bottom quarter of the tank due to it's shape. The aftermarket guys -Spectra would need to fill the tank in increments to get it right but the output should be spot on for the gauge. Currently I am on a 411 but I have a 243 that I am working on using as my final but it will have to do my A/C the way I want it.
Post the diagram for this fuel level circuit with the PCM interface
Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fuel Gauge Output Red-38 directly to your fuel gauge. BTW if you go this route you can then start getting additional info with things like a dashhawk and run the evap. For you 57 it will keep that tank from burping in that Az heat. BTW is Ed still running Az TPI?
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Fuel Gauge Output Red-38 directly to your fuel gauge. BTW if you go this route you can then start getting additional info with things like a dashhawk and run the evap. For you 57 it will keep that tank from burping in that Az heat. BTW is Ed still running Az TPI?
No heat here 69ghost, I live in The UK

Quick Reply: 57 chevy fuel gauge ?