Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spectra premium A body tank...fuel pump dead??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spectra premium A body tank...fuel pump dead??

So...first time on a long drive with the new conversion and I believe the fuel pump has died on me. Currently stuck in Lebec, CA! Maybe could use some troubleshoooting tips or advice.

Tank reads about 3/8 to 1/2 full now.Never ran it dry, been through at least 3 tank fulls with no problems.
So far I bypassed the relay and get nothing. I do not have a pressure gage or a multimeter, but I have some basic tools and theres a NAPA here.

Anybody have problems with this pump? Anybody have a part # for it so if I have to I can order it? I will have limited internet access so I could use any help anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-05-2011, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

IIRC..... there has been a few (at least) people that has had premature pump failures. Did you prime the pump before trying to start it? The instructions that came with my Spectra tank recoomends priming it. I would imagine this means to put fuel in from the supply line coming from the sending unit.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:00 PM
Teching In

so, I never did prime it. it would be good to know just how long most peoples pumps last in that tank.
Well I got a replacement pump in there. Hopefully it will get me back home so I can research this. The pump is for a 92 camaro and rated at 50 psi. Thats all I know about it. The car runs so I guess thats all that matters for today, but I would like to know if they warranty those pumps and is it just going to fail again?

How much does the priming affect the life? Apparently its pretty short if you don't.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I read about priming a intank pump another time while reading S&P's jumbled website. When my pump takes a dump, I'll probably go to the new Areomotive 340 pump.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My Spectra pump lasted about 6 months and 12 miles (moving in and out of the garage) I went to Autozone and purchased a pump for a 1996 Chevrolet K1500 (Airtex part# E3270) and installed it, so far so good. The pump is rated for a maximum of 90 psi and 60 gph, so it should run an LS1 pretty easy
Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that 50psi pump, I would swap it out asap and not put any pedal into it on the way home. Must likely might cause a lean condtion due to the low pressure. did you check the local parts start for a pump for a LS1 spec'd car ?

I would have just put a correct spec'd AC or Walbor pump in.. one of the reason I try to keep as many parts as OEM. you local or remote parts store or GM dealer should be able to get OEM relate part.

Hope you get home ok.

oh yeah. one reason I have a inspection panel in my trunk, I had a problem once and was able to open up the panel, pull the sender and fix the wiring and back going in 30-45min.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Its the fuel pump, spectra puts the base model crap pump in there thats made for LT1's so the pump basically works itself to death. I just had to change mine out two weeks ago. replacement part# is acdelco #ep-381 or airtex# e-3270
Old 07-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Teching In

The pump got me back home OK, thankfully.

cool ...thanks for the part #s and info. Shame I had to buy that camaro pump because it was like $85! Problem was that NAPA was closing and there wasn't enough time to do a little research.

However, if there had only been an Auto Zone or O'Reilly's in town I would definitely be there overnight. NAPA guys are always knowlegeable enough take a situation like that and find a substitute part, where the AZ guy would say "uhhh, what vehicle is it for?... ok I can't help you if I don't have a P/N." haha. not bashin those places, but the sales people just don't have the experience.

Well, good to know that there may be a better quality pump out there. As far as capacity, I definitely want to put a dry 100hp N2O setup in so it would have to support 450 hp or so, I'd imagine... I know the factory 99- 02 LS F body pump would do it.

Quick Reply: spectra premium A body tank...fuel pump dead??