Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF placement

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF placement

Is there a min/max distance I can install the MAF from the TB? Are there any advantages to having it closer or farther away?

TIA,

Dhamen
Old 07-08-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Minimum distance... look at several factory cars, the MAF and TB are the same part. LS1 based F-Body cars are pretty close to the TB while trucks are much farther away.

The number one rule I have heard is to not have the MAF imminently before or after a bend as it tends to skew the readings.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

That makes sense. The elbows create turbulence which throws the readings off. Then I also want to keep it as close to the TB as possible to get an accurate temp reading.

Thanks gofastwclass it's simple and it's clear to me now.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

thats how I have mine setup
Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Minimum distance... look at several factory cars, the MAF and TB are the same part. LS1 based F-Body cars are pretty close to the TB while trucks are much farther away.

The number one rule I have heard is to not have the MAF imminently before or after a bend as it tends to skew the readings.

This. I'm planning on using a fairly tight 90* connected to the TB and the backside of the MAF, and hopefully at least a foot long tube in front of the MAF. If I can make it fit, I might even try to use a stock truck airbox and panel filter I recall an automotive engineer friend telling me (and posting) 2 things. First, if there IS a bend in the pipe pre-MAF, ideally you want the air to make 1 complete swirl before going thru the MAF. That, and every real automotive engineer you'lle ver talk to will tell you if they were designing an intake without space constrictions - they'd use the largest panel filter you can fit. Not one has ever said they'd use a cone filter..... Food for thought, eh??
Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been thinking about the same thing, but here's what Im thinking of I have a 1987 GN, and GM have the MAF before the turbo inlet, Im installing a turbo on a LQ4, and was thinking of trying the MAF on the inlet of the turbo to see how it works, but on the GN it sit a good 2feet from the turbo.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MillsMotorvation
Ive been thinking about the same thing, but here's what Im thinking of I have a 1987 GN, and GM have the MAF before the turbo inlet, Im installing a turbo on a LQ4, and was thinking of trying the MAF on the inlet of the turbo to see how it works, but on the GN it sit a good 2feet from the turbo.

I would think that the only time it could be an issue is if there is compressor surge, it could send pressure pulses back out thru the MAF.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point, but my Grandnational has not had a problem, thanks.

Quick Reply: MAF placement