Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

77 Pontiac 400 to LSx Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 77 Pontiac 400 to LSx Mounting

Hi guys, been searching and can't seem to get a handle on this question. I have a 77 Trans Am with a 400 pontiac engine in it. I want to install an LS series engine and transmission. I know I will need to use adapter plates for the LS engine side. Can I just use mounts from a 2nd Gen 350 Camaro? Are the holes in my 77 frame (for the pontiac 400) the same as the holes in the 77 Camaro frame with a 350? I need some schooling...The whole Pontiac/Chevy thing is throwing me a little (I'm not sure if it even matters). Thanks in advance!
Old 07-20-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by htrk1
Hi guys, been searching and can't seem to get a handle on this question. I have a 77 Trans Am with a 400 pontiac engine in it. I want to install an LS series engine and transmission. I know I will need to use adapter plates for the LS engine side. Can I just use mounts from a 2nd Gen 350 Camaro? Are the holes in my 77 frame (for the pontiac 400) the same as the holes in the 77 Camaro frame with a 350? I need some schooling...The whole Pontiac/Chevy thing is throwing me a little (I'm not sure if it even matters). Thanks in advance!
I would bet money that the Pontiac subframe has holes already drilled for the Chevy mounts. In 77 Chevrolet used clamshell style motor mounts. I believe Hooker makes an adapter designed for that style of mount. Look on the Holley website.

Andrew
Old 07-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Andrew. Ill check out the website! Any pointers other pointers are appreciated. I know several people on here have done a similar swap.