Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fbody Gauge Cluster in Your Swap(Little how to inside)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Fbody Gauge Cluster in Your Swap(Little how to inside)

Well, I searched and searched before I finally undertook the gauge hookup on my 93 mustang coupe. With the help of Jon at PSI CONVERSION I had it hooked up in no time. Sorry I didn't get a chance to take any pictures during the setup or provide more details but it's pretty self explanatory.

First thing I did was source an Fbody gauge cluster pigtail out of a 99-02 car. The year is very important due to the changes in wiring and electrical/mechanical operations between the 1998s and 99-02s.

Once I got the pigtail I used the following wiring pinouts to hook up the necessary power and grounds.

To hook up the speedo I spliced into the wire that came with my harness(PSI's standalone harness for ls1) into the VSS Signal(vehicle speed sensor) wire on the gauge cluster which is pin B8 and is dark green/white.

To hook up the tach I simply spliced into the number 2 pin on the ALDL connector(that is included on PSI's harness) which is the IPC Class 2 Serial Data wire and connected that to the serial data wire which is pin B6 and is Gray. This outputs the RPM signal to the gauge cluster which then interprets the data and displays the RPMs on the actual tach.

I did not hook up the oil pressure or gas gauge on the cluster because I really didn't have a need for it since im running an autometer oil pressure gauge.

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll help the best I can.

Once again Thank You to Jon at PSI for answering all of the questions and helping me with the swap, I couldn't ask for better customer service.
Attached Thumbnails Fbody Gauge Cluster in Your Swap(Little how to inside)-gauge-cluster-pinout.gif   Fbody Gauge Cluster in Your Swap(Little how to inside)-obd-ii_pinout.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is there 2 left and right turn signal wires? Is one for blinkers and one for the emergency flashers I guess?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bjamick
Why is there 2 left and right turn signal wires? Is one for blinkers and one for the emergency flashers I guess?
Im honestly not sure. I didnt bother hooking them up. For now I just did the basics of the speedo, tach and volt(which works once you had power to the cluster) and the backlighting. When I did all my research the gauge cluster was the one with the least amount of info so I felt like I should contribute somehow since I used about 30 peoples threads to do my swap.

Last edited by itsslow98; 07-21-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

One comes from the Switch..then out to the lights..well the flasher. That's why the Light on the Cluster stays constant if the light bulb is out, or the flasher is out.

I'm using a 1995 Camaro Z28 Cluster in my MCSS..wired it in when I installed my 408.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this on my mustang using f body cluster and no bueno.

Hooked up all 3 fuse able powers and 2 grounds. Hooked up vss, obd2 serial wire

When I turn the key all the gauges cycle but only my volts work. Speedo does not move nd cluster stays at 0 even while running. Wtf man i hate this god damn car and night mare of wiring
Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bak,

Were you using our pigtail? What year is your cluster, what engine/transmission, what engine harness?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Teching In

so i swapped a 01 ls1 into a 95 camaro.. none of my gauges work... : (
my buddy caught that I had monsoon plugs for the speakers witch usually comes in trans ams.. would this process work if I did have the interior harness from a trans am and not a camaro?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:31 AM
Teching In

I did the f body gauges on my mustang. But every warning light is lit up (abs, air bag, etc). How did ya'll shut them off?
Old 08-05-2018, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Almost 6-year old thread? Good luck....
Old 08-05-2018, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Take the cluster apart and pull the led bulbs out. They pull out very easily

Quick Reply: Fbody Gauge Cluster in Your Swap(Little how to inside)