Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with alternator... and ive read the stickies

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help with alternator... and ive read the stickies

Simple question will a f body altnator plug into and work with a 03-04 truck harness? I know the alternaor will fit this is more a wiring question.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is nothing magic about alternators that makes them work with one vehicle but not another. Worst case you may need to depin the current connector and plug the same wires into one that fits your alt. Maybe someone else will chime in with the exact specifics of wire colors.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. I went the opposite way that you did because of the stupid cooling duct and a missing alternator stud.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful, as some F-body alternators expect a lower voltage on one of the wires (either a lamp or resistor) instead of 12v. I burned out two alternators putting 12v in before I figured that out. Sorry I don't have the specific part numbers, but search and you'll find it.

Good luck,

Dean
Old 07-22-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are not plug & play compatible, so the simple answer is no.

On the bright side, the F-body alternator is easy to hookup without messing with the truck wiring harness. In addition to the main charge wire that goes to the battery, only one other wire is required. It needs to go to a +12V source that is at least hot when the key is in the "run" position, and preferably hot in the "run and start" position. That wire must also have a small inline resistor or a battery malfunction indicator lamp. Make sure it is wired through the ignition switch - otherwise it will drain the battery.

I have a truck harness & PCM and an F-body alternator, so I went through this already. The plugs look the same. It's tempting to just put them together, but they are not directly compatible.

Quick Reply: Help with alternator... and ive read the stickies