Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 carbed swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 carbed swap questions

I am considering a LQ4 install in my 69 camaro and have a few questions. First off, if I go with a intake and carb setup what is the down side if any to going that route vs. keeping the efi? If I go with the carb and intake what else will I need to make it work? Would I need the expensive harness and gas pedal assembly? I have the engine that will need rebuilt but I am concerned with what other items I will need to make it work. Also is it possible to use my muncie 4 speed with the engine? thanks for any info.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a carbed section on this site which might answer a lot of your Qs.

I run a Holley carb on my LQ9. I suppose the downside is maybe cold starting, possible vapor lock, and tuning the carb.

The gas pedal assembly is for the drive-by-wire engines, your Camaro throttle cable should work fine with a carb. The LS to transmission mounting is just like the old small block Chevys - should be no problem there - just get a flywheel.

I run an old non-computer 700R4 on the back of my engine.

hope this helps
Old 08-01-2011, 05:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

MSD makes an ignition box that uses the stock coil packs and engine sensors. it comes with the harness. Just plug it in and go, as simple as can be. You can set the timing with pills, or with a super simple and free program on a PC/laptop (recommended).

You will need an electric fuel pump if you don't have one. You can most likely reuse the stock fuel line.

You can run the Muncie. Lots of people make bellhousings for that now. I would strongly suggest an overdrive 5 or 6 speed, but understand budget.

Go to the carb section and look at some of the dozen or more threads comparing EFI and carbs. Carbs work super well on these motors. The last guy listed tuning the carb as a down side. i look at it as an upside. You do need a box of tuning stuff and a wideband O2 sensor is almost invaluable. But once you have that stuff the carb will work on any motor. No expensive software or computers, no expensive injectors or sensors to replace or upsize. It's all in how you look at it I guess.