Sponsored by:

4.8 Vortec - radiator, MAF questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 Vortec - radiator, MAF questions

Hello,

I have a 1999 4.8 Vortec installing in a 1987 cadillac Brougham, A/C will hopefully work. I am planning of keeping it stock, maybe later add a LS6 intake and cam. But not for now.

What radiator should I go with? Can I keep the stock radiator from the Brougham or should i get one for a truck? I am planning on using e-fans so the I can fit a CAI, otherwise the truck`s air box doesn`t really fit. I don`t know if the Brougham`s rad has enough surface to cool the 4.8 engine.

What happens if i don`t use a MAF, i think some guys don`t use one.
Will gas mileage be affected in a negative way? I`d like to have a decent gas consumption. Shall I have driveability problems?

Thanks!

Matei
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See what size the stock one is and then get a northern dual pass one from eBay if you plan to get a new one.

For the maf it is up to you. If you aren't doing too much internal work to the engine stick with the maf. Why don't you want to use it? I converted my painless harness to the Corvette maf with the built in iat sensor and it was literally a 2 minute job including routing the harness.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Launching!

I am on a tigth budget so if I can keep my radiator I would rather keep it for now.
I was asking about the MAF because I don't have one. The engine I bought didn't have one. That's the reason I wanted to know if I can run it without and what will happen?

I will check the radiator you are talking about on ebay
Thanks