Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a 370z...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about a 370z...

Hey guys, I have been thinking about moving my 2nd Gen RX7 swap car, and picking up something a little more street oriented. I like the G35 swap, but really like the styling on the 370z. Does anyone know if the existing 350/G35 kits will work? Is the chassis that much different than the previous platform? I would pick it up and probably drive for a year or two first before doing the swap.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if they fit the same, and the electronics may be different as well. And not to mention they cost a lot more since they are still so new.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Cost really isn't too big of a concern, as I don't have a payment now. Plan would be to get a 1 or 2 year loan on the car and when it's paid down, commence with the swap. I am not too worried about the wiring, I feel comfortable in my ability to wire and piggyback. I was just hoping the engine mounts were the same as the 3.5Liter motor, and if the K member was more or less in the same place.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

even if it isnt I dont imagine it could've changed very much
Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty sure the 370 is wider, and possibly its a bit longer wheel base, which would change pretty much everything.

If money really isn't a concern, than you can just have custom mounts made pretty easy it seems. And I bet you could sell the 3.7L that's in it for a pretty penny. Cause that would be a sweet swap into a 240sx or something similar.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are going to get a loan and then wait until it's paid down to do the swap, why not just wait to buy the car until you have more money and pay less for the car? As for the differences I'm sure a Z forum would know.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Mainly because I drive a lot more now for work now that I only cover the west coast of Florida than I used to previously when my territory was the entire Southeast US. So I traded my 15 mile commute to the airport for almost 300-400 miles a week. That's rough in my current DD, a 4-wheel drive Supercrew currently averaging 15-16 MPG. I need the truck to pull a boat so I can't part with it. My plan was to pick up a Z, paying a large majority of the sale price in cash, get a 24 month loan and then use it for my weekly road trips and start stockpiling parts for the swap. If I sell my RX7 as a roller, I already have a forged bottom end LS2 sitting there with a T56, pretty much ready to go (I would take a step back on the cam though). Hopefully the GTO procharger kit I am using will still fit in the engine bay. If not I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I am digging around on a couple of Z sites, but from what I have read so far, most of the folks on there seem to be more interested in appearance and handling mods. There are a couple of guys that are hardcore though, but something tells me that ripping out the still beating heart of their beloved cars will be met with skepticism and hostility.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Damn, 400 miles @ 15mpg is rough.
You could probably get a 0% loan on the car and keep your cash in the bank earning a (very) little interest. I'm a big fan of liquidity when it has not cost to it (assuming you didn't spend that money of course).
Given how new the cars are I doubt too many of them have any reason to do much engine upgrading, and those VQs are nice. Some of those guys take this stuff too seriously, these things are mass-produced toys but they act like you are killing orphans or something. Are there any lightly-damaged Gs in yards anywhere? If so you could pick one up and feel less guilty about cutting up a new car.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Teching In

I would call SIKKY if I were you. They may be doing R&D on a kit as we speak. Also the 370z is a smaller lighter car than the 350z.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I highly doubt the 370 is lighter than the 350
Old 08-11-2011, 12:39 PM
QTB
Teching In

The 370Z is a touch heavier but not much and it's bigger in nearly every dimension. A better stiffer chassis too. The only down side is I have read they have fuel stavation problem under heavy lateral Gs. Nothing a fuel cell can't fix.

I have the current sikky motor mounts for my Z33 (work of art). You can check them out from the link in my sig. I've taken them apart and if the locations between the Z33 and Z34 are different the mounts look like they could be adapted pretty easily if they change is not monumental.

On a side note the VHR engine is much much more stout than the orginal DE and will make as easy 450-500whp with mild boost (~8 psi), be very reliable and the cost is similar to the LSx swap. Just be sure to add a be mother effin' oil cooler. Eitherway would be bad@ss though. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Thinking about a 370z...