Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LY6 Conversion - ECM/TCM/DBW Pedal Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LY6 Conversion - ECM/TCM/DBW Pedal Question

I am installing a 2008 LY6 into a 1st gen Camaro and need to know what ECM, TCM, and DBW pedal to get. The engine did not come with a harness, or the computers/pedal. From the research I've been doing, it appears that I need an E38 ECM and a T42 TCM. The question I have is are these two numbers compatible with only certain year model vehicles? I'm told that I need them out of a vette, but not sure which year model(s). Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same engine. As for getting the computers only out of a Vette that isn't an issue. You are correct about needing the E38 ECM and T42 TCM, your programmer will load a base tune into the computers so that is why being from a vette doesn't matter. As for the DBW pedal you can get the vette pedal, or a 2007 monte carlo pedal but that one might need some wires switched, or a truck pedal which is large.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
I have the same engine. As for getting the computers only out of a Vette that isn't an issue. You are correct about needing the E38 ECM and T42 TCM, your programmer will load a base tune into the computers so that is why being from a vette doesn't matter. As for the DBW pedal you can get the vette pedal, or a 2007 monte carlo pedal but that one might need some wires switched, or a truck pedal which is large.
I was on Ebay earlier and saw two different part numbers for the E38 ECM's and it appears to be based on year models. The 2006 & 2007 was p/n 12597121 and the 2008 & 2009 was p/n 12612384. Does it matter which one I get? I also saw a 12625455 part number. I found saw a DBW pedal that was listed for a 2007-2011 vette. Will that work or do I need an earlier year model? I just want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff the first time.

Thanks again. Still learning about all this LS conversion stuff. It's mind boggling at times!
Old 08-10-2011, 06:53 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is our experience that you should use the correct year tune with the correct year ECM.

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

What transmission are you planning to use? From what I understand the 6L80E does not require a TCM whereas the 4L80E does. No TCM would be required if you're going to a manual or keeping a vintage tranny like a TH350, TH400, 700R4, etc.

Here is a wiring diagram that you may find useful. This is for a 2007 silverado.
http://cjnn.xtremefabricator.com/lsx...sSchematic.JPG
Old 08-10-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ItDoRun
I was on Ebay earlier and saw two different part numbers for the E38 ECM's and it appears to be based on year models. The 2006 & 2007 was p/n 12597121 and the 2008 & 2009 was p/n 12612384. Does it matter which one I get? I also saw a 12625455 part number. I found saw a DBW pedal that was listed for a 2007-2011 vette. Will that work or do I need an earlier year model? I just want to make sure I'm buying the right stuff the first time.

Thanks again. Still learning about all this LS conversion stuff. It's mind boggling at times!

Yeah I know what you mean about learning about all of this stuff. I have spent more time on the computer then I have wrenching on the car, and I'm just in the middle of my swap. I would get the same year computer as your engine, just to avoid any unknown issues. Or just give Jon @ PSIconversions a call. He building me my harness and computer setup, and I think it was money well spent to avoid any possible problems of doing it on my own. You can have him supply everything, harness, computer, and pedal... That is the route I went. Just a thought.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
Yeah I know what you mean about learning about all of this stuff. I have spent more time on the computer then I have wrenching on the car, and I'm just in the middle of my swap. I would get the same year computer as your engine, just to avoid any unknown issues. Or just give Jon @ PSIconversions a call. He building me my harness and computer setup, and I think it was money well spent to avoid any possible problems of doing it on my own. You can have him supply everything, harness, computer, and pedal... That is the route I went. Just a thought.
Yeah, I called him and will be ordering everything from him in the near future. Best pricing I've seen so far.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
What transmission are you planning to use? From what I understand the 6L80E does not require a TCM whereas the 4L80E does. No TCM would be required if you're going to a manual or keeping a vintage tranny like a TH350, TH400, 700R4, etc.

Here is a wiring diagram that you may find useful. This is for a 2007 silverado.
http://cjnn.xtremefabricator.com/lsx...sSchematic.JPG
I'll be running a 4L65E.

Quick Reply: LY6 Conversion - ECM/TCM/DBW Pedal Question