Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 GTO LS2 w/4 speed auto in 87 Buick GN

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 GTO LS2 w/4 speed auto in 87 Buick GN

Hey everyone! I'm hoping someone can help my mechanic out. This is what he wanted me to post on the forum.

"We were doing our final test and tune with the car running and the throttle working properly. We had just adjusted the timing and sat in the car to back it out of the shop and "NOTHING". There was no throttle response. We ran a number of tests including computer analysis and always got the same result, "Throttle Position 0%". Is this absolutely telling us that the throttle control on the gas pedal is malfunctioning or could it be the receiver on the throttle body? Since these parts are not overly produced any longer and are way overpriced, does anyone know of a system whereby we can go to a cable operation on this 2006 GTO 6.0 that has been placed in this 1987 Grand National? Any help on this matter would be MOST APPRECIATED"

And to note, we purchased the Street and Performance wiring harness for the transplant.
http://www.hotrodlane.cc/PDFFILES/ls...nessSquire.pdf
Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not produced any longer? Aren't most of these parts used across about 5 million different GM vehicles? Sounds like the mechanic is prepping you for a parts-price *** rape, but I could of course be wrong.
Use HP tuners or whatever and check a table that is marked "installed options matrix vs platform type". Under platform "7" for the type of engine, see what the column for ETC was set at. Might be 1 or 0. Whatever it is change it and see if that does it. Fixed a similar situation for me, though I doubt it will work in your case since you didn't change from dbw to dbc.
Call the people who made the harness and see what they say. Service after the sale and all that.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pev96001
Hey everyone! I'm hoping someone can help my mechanic out. This is what he wanted me to post on the forum.

"We were doing our final test and tune with the car running and the throttle working properly. We had just adjusted the timing and sat in the car to back it out of the shop and "NOTHING". There was no throttle response. We ran a number of tests including computer analysis and always got the same result, "Throttle Position 0%". Is this absolutely telling us that the throttle control on the gas pedal is malfunctioning or could it be the receiver on the throttle body? Since these parts are not overly produced any longer and are way overpriced, does anyone know of a system whereby we can go to a cable operation on this 2006 GTO 6.0 that has been placed in this 1987 Grand National? Any help on this matter would be MOST APPRECIATED"

And to note, we purchased the Street and Performance wiring harness for the transplant.
Had the throttle been working before or was this the first time you tried it?
Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 PM

just go to cable throttle and make it easier
Old 08-10-2011, 06:41 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you go to cable throttle body on the LS2 you are going to have to change the PCM.

What computer, throttle body and pedal are you using? Is it a stock 2006 LS2 setup?

Jon
PSI

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'

Last edited by psiconversion; 08-10-2011 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 AM

The throttle was working before, but would just act up from time to time. Not sure what's actually going on.

The setup is original.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:45 AM

My mechanic wants to know how to convert to a drive-by-cable setup step by step.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pev96001

Your Mechanic?? I hate to break this news to you but you dont have a mechanic there, if it was working and now it works intermittently a real mechanic will find the problem and fix it. What you have there is not a mechanic but a Parts Changer he does not know what he is doing so he is having you do all the research and ask all of the questions and surely having you spend all of your money throwing parts at it. Ask him if it was his project would he spend all that money throwing parts at it and hoping it fixes itself? Of course not but he has found himself a money bag (you) that is willing to do all of the research and ask all of the questions and spend all of your money, the Street & Performance harness is a decent piece that I am sure you spent upwards of $800.00 on correct? And now he wants to go to a DBC set up? I say Bullshit, get the DBW working as it has worked intermittently already, and more than likely is something simple as a loose connection. You might want to consider finding a real mechanic that is knowledgable on LS conversions and leave this (mechanic- parts changer) to working on your lawnmower. And another thing why do people spend that kind of money with a company (Street & Performance) and are afraid to call them and ask them for help and some suggestions on the problem that you are having? They know their product and might be able to point you in the right direction. Sorry for the blunt post but Im thinking that you are probably already thinking the same thing.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:58 PM

I agree with you. Actually just called him a little while ago and told him that we're going to forget with the DBC idea. That just sounds like a dumb idea at this point (plus it's going to cost me a lot more to go that route anyway).

I even gave him the number to Street and Performance about 3 weeks ago!
I'll have to do it again and maybe he'll get the point this time...
Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM

These are the codes he came up with. P2128, P2122, P0654, P0650, PO622, P0499, U0121, P0060, P0056, P0054, P0036. Any help?

Quick Reply: 2006 GTO LS2 w/4 speed auto in 87 Buick GN