Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator wiring help :[

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator wiring help :[

I know there's a bunch of threads out there, but my brain isnt functioning after taking my wiring harness apart. I've got most of it figured out, but i'm stumped at the alternator wiring.

I have a 2005 escalade 6.0L engine harness.
I have a 98 fbody alternator.

The truck harness has a 2 pin connector.

The fbody alternator has 4 pins. I have a 4 pin connector to play with.

Related pins @ PCM:
Green connector pin 15: "Charge Indicator Control"
Green connector pin 75: "Generator Field Duty Cycle Signal"

how should i wire the 98 fbody alternator
Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

In 2005 GM went to an RVC (Regulated Voltage Control) system on the trucks. Basically a computer controlled alternator to help improve fuel mileage that uses an amperage sensor attached to either the positive or negative battery cable (depending on the vehicle). The amp sensor acts like an O2 sensor for fuel injection, it allows the RVC module to "fine tune" the charging system. RVC has it's own seperate module that makes the system work.

Not quite sure of the "Fix", but I'm sure somebody here will chime in.

There have been several revisions to the RVC since 2005, and in some cases a simple alternator replacement can require a reflash of the PCM, depending on running changes during the model year.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Teching In

please someone help!

here is the truck alternator diagram which uses the generator battery control module
Old 08-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Teching In

for a 98 camaro's alternator:

Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news - hooking up the Camaro alternator is really easy to do. The only question you have to answer is whether or not you want to have an alternator trouble light on your dash.

Here's what you need to know about the 1998-02 F-body alternator:

Regardless of whether you want a dash light or not, the principle is the same. The big fat charge wire goes to your battery, starter, power post, etc. One additional thin wire, from that 4-terminal connector, is required. This thin wire must go to a +12V source, generally controlled by the ignition switch, that is either "hot in run only" or "hot in run and start only."

One more twist: that thin wire needs to have some resistance in it. Otherwise, you'll burn up the alternator. If you're using the dash light, the light bulb will supply some/all of the resistance you need. If you're not using the dash light, you need to put a resistor in the wire (from Radio Shack, etc.)

Oh yea, and there are two terminals on the 4-terminal Camaro alternator connector that you might actually use. Terminal "L" is used if you do have a battery trouble light. Terminal "I" is used if you do not have a battery trouble light.

That about sums it up. For the details, check out this single post:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/14588749-post87.html

What about the truck alternator wiring? Don't worry about it - you don't need to hook it up. You can either take it out of the harness entirely or tie it up somewhere never to be used again.

Originally Posted by zeeshan
I've got most of it figured out, but i'm stumped at the alternator wiring.

I have a 2005 escalade 6.0L engine harness.
I have a 98 fbody alternator.

The truck harness has a 2 pin connector.

The fbody alternator has 4 pins. I have a 4 pin connector to play with.

Related pins @ PCM:
Green connector pin 15: "Charge Indicator Control"
Green connector pin 75: "Generator Field Duty Cycle Signal"

how should i wire the 98 fbody alternator
Old 08-16-2011, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the same situation. Would either of you happen to know the part number or a place to purchase that 4-contact alternator plug?

Also, does that mean that to use the existing alternator wiring on these harnesses, you'd have to add the RVC module from the donor vehicle?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1936 LS1
I've got the same situation. Would either of you happen to know the part number or a place to purchase that 4-contact alternator plug?

Also, does that mean that to use the existing alternator wiring on these harnesses, you'd have to add the RVC module from the donor vehicle?
Rich,

I got one from Rock Auto last year for $15, would bet that NAPA has or could order one...
Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always bought mine from mouser.com - I don't have a part number though.

I think it's the same plug as the one used in the truck. Maybe you could go to a junk yard and clip one off a harness? I bet it's used on other GM alternators as well. That would probably get you in around $5.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had mine converted to a true 1 wire for $50 works better than resistor deal did last year.

14.2v at idle

Tim
Old 04-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Is the LS1 style camaro alternator the one included in the Chevrolet Performance LS3 accessory drive kit? If you use the Chevrolet Performance controller and harness, is the connector correct for the alternator to allow the PCM to control everything, requiring one to only have to wire in their charge wire?

Quick Reply: Alternator wiring help :[