Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone convert their Drive By Wire to Drive By Cable?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone convert their Drive By Wire to Drive By Cable?

I have a '06 LS2/T56 out of a GTO and want to convert it to a DBC setup. What all is needed? Will a LS1 or aftermarket throttle body work? I will have to get the computer reprogramed anyway, just not sure what all needs to be done to convert?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2011, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.lt1swap.com/cable_conversion.htm

just do everything here and just use a standard tb 3 or 4 bolt which ever your intake calls for.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Teching In

Damn that sounds like a lot of time and work to try to locate as particular computer, reprogram, use different sensors, etc.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah, looks like Ill stick with DBW
Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Teching In

I don't have a gto pedal, so I'm looking at $1k+ to get my GTO harness reworked to accept a corvette pedal, vette pedal, and reprogram.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

$1000? That sounds crazy. Why is it so much? I had a harness made with a programmed comp included (my motor didn't come with a computer) for half that when I switched to dbc. Using a truck 5 pin maf and a stock dbc tb should address all the sensor issues from what I recall. What do you mean accept a corvette pedal?
Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Teching In

Computer program $300
Reworked OEM GTO harness - $525
Vette pedal $100
Computer $300

I don't have the stock computer and gto pedal. The Gto pedal is $300 and ther conection that plugs into the pedal is not offered by GM so you have to convert to the corvette pedal.

Wish I new about all these hidden costs....damn.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I've just never read anything about anyone having to keep a gto pedal, though that certainly doesn't mean it isn't true.
Can you not sell your gto harness and use a modified harness and computer from an f-body or express van, use a cable throttle body and keep your stock pedals? I could be way off (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) but it seems like those prices are on the high side. $525 just to rework your old harness and then $300 to tune it (I'm assuming a non-dyno tune) seems like a lot. I don't think you need the gto pedals unless you are staying drive by wire, and even then you might not need them.
Info here - http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355173
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626014
Then again, maybe I'm way off.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Rock Auto
06 GTO pedal $272
APP connector $42

you can probably find the pedal in a boneyard for $100
And the delphi connector can probably be bought aftermarket (ie. efi connection) for half that price.
Now you only need a $100 vats delete, etc tune.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garys 68
Rock Auto
06 GTO pedal $272
APP connector $42

you can probably find the pedal in a boneyard for $100
And the delphi connector can probably be bought aftermarket (ie. efi connection) for half that price.
Now you only need a $100 vats delete, etc tune.
Gary, from what John at speartech is saying is that it is not as simple as splicing in a new pigtail as that part of the harness is missing. They will have to rebuild my existing harness. Sounds like the vette pedal is the way to go as it's $100.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same engine combo, I had my harness reworked by wait4meperformance for $450.00 this included computer reprogramming, I did have to supply him the blue connector that plugs into the computer as that is not part of the engine harness which does have 2 additional plugs that plug into the E40 computer. I bought the blue connector with 12" of wiring from Cleveland pick a part for $75.00 and that is where I originally bought my engine and transmission. It still hurts from them bending me over. I do have a friend that has the 2006 GTO pedal and computer and stock engine harness if interested. And I have the pedal connector with the terminals if interested matter of fact I have it listed on eBay for sale right now.
And another thing the "this thing is nickel and dimeing me to death" doesn't apply here it will be more like this thing is $50.00 & $100.00 me to death, all the little stuff adds up quick. Good Luck
Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

If you can read a schematic, or the crude color 5 page GM diagrams, you can make your own harness. It really is that simple.
One other thing, once you start mixing and matching components, getting special tunes, etc...if you have a problem or sensor failure, forget about getting off the shelf parts or someone to do basic diagnostics. Keep everything as close to stock as possible unless you do all the work and programming yourself.

Originally Posted by Big Block Stingray
Gary, from what John at speartech is saying is that it is not as simple as splicing in a new pigtail as that part of the harness is missing. They will have to rebuild my existing harness. Sounds like the vette pedal is the way to go as it's $100.

Last edited by garys 68; 08-24-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lizeec
I have the same engine combo, I had my harness reworked by wait4meperformance for $450.00 this included computer reprogramming, I did have to supply him the blue connector that plugs into the computer as that is not part of the engine harness which does have 2 additional plugs that plug into the E40 computer. I bought the blue connector with 12" of wiring from Cleveland pick a part for $75.00 and that is where I originally bought my engine and transmission. It still hurts from them bending me over. I do have a friend that has the 2006 GTO pedal and computer and stock engine harness if interested. And I have the pedal connector with the terminals if interested matter of fact I have it listed on eBay for sale right now.
And another thing the "this thing is nickel and dimeing me to death" doesn't apply here it will be more like this thing is $50.00 & $100.00 me to death, all the little stuff adds up quick. Good Luck
I'll give them a call tomorrow. Are you satified with the work they did?

I have the computer and pedal covered, just need need the connection and for someone to mod the harness and tune it.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Teching In

If you can read a schematic, or the crude color 5 page GM diagrams, you can make your own harness. It really is that simple.
One other thing, once you start mixing and matching components, getting special tunes, etc...if you have a problem or sensor failure, forget about getting off the shelf parts or someone to do basic diagnostics. Keep everything as close to stock as possible unless you do all the work and programming yourself.
Gary, I agree I'm trying to keep this as stock as possible to prevent future issues.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

Well as far as wait4meperformance I'm 50/50 now keep this in mind this was in late 2007 early 2008 and there were not alot of choices out there I think them and Speartech were the only ones willing to touch a stock 2006 GTO harness and modify it, and I was like you I wanted to keep as much of the stock GM stuff that is proven and tested items that I could. I sent them the harness for what they told me would be a 2 week turn around I was not in a hurry so I said no problem well after 3 weeks and no news I called and they couldn't find it and then called me back and said they found it and I would have it in a week, well I got it a week later and it did not have a diagnostic link connector, fuse panel or relays set up for the fuel pump or fans, and the wires for the DBW connector were marked but no connector, so I was like you where the hell am I going to get one of those? I ordered one from GM for like $75.00 and sent the harness back to him as I did not have the tool crimpers for the terminals and that took another 2 weeks turn around because he said he was going to Sema well I got it back and it had the connector on it and my connector that I sent him was still there in the box and this is why I have an extra for sale. Another issue I had was a extra wire to the DBW connector that was not marked and just taped there and I called and asked about this wire, he did not believe me and said to send it back again so more shipping fees now he did always pay for the shipping back to me I only had to pay the shipping to him but this was the 3rd time and when I got the harness back again in another 2 weeks I was curious to see what he did with that wire, I opened up the harness and just found it taped up back in the harness, so I went ahead and depinned it from the connector, I still had to buy a fuse block and some realys, I bought them from Jegs and just figured it out on my own, once again in 2007-2008 there was not as much info and parts available as there is now as most of it has been figured out. I did install the harness and the engine fired right up and everything worked as it was supposed to, the diagnostic link works the fan turns on at 210 like they are supposed to, so other than the shipping back and forth and the time delays to get it the way it should have been the first time it shipped it works fine, at first I was pissed but after reading stuff on this forum of the problems other people have had with their harnesses especially DBW harnesses from ebay and a few other vendors I am happy with it at least it started right away and the DBW worked perfect. I have read nothing but good things about a couple vendors harnesses Speartech and PSI are the ones that seem to stand out. One last gripe now that I pretty much got my car running like I want it to I am going back and trying to figure out how to get the DBW cruise control to work with my harness and my E40 computer but I am hitting a few roadblocks as these E40 computers originally used a BCM (body control module) to control the cruise. And I emailed wait4meperformance and he seemed to think I was asking how to wire the space shuttle for cruise control, his response was the wires are still there in your harness it should work but could not give me any info on which wires or where they need to be connceted so I am researching this now.

Last edited by lizeec; 08-25-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

My harness was from an ebay vendor who also has his own site full of info, the only thing is he only does harnesses for non-electric transmissions. Don't think he sells from the site itself so it should be safe to post the link chevythunder.com . Some good stuff on there, and my harness itself was exactly what I ordered. The computer had to go back once to change it from dbw to dbc, but he paid shipping both ways.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Junkie

A solution to your problem for $125?
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=848
Old 08-25-2011, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

A solution to your problem for $125?
http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=848
Yes that is exactly what he will need to convert his stock harness, that is what I am talking about that these swaps will $50.00 & $100.oo you to death, I wish this stuff was available in 2007-2008 when I was doing my swap.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Could you simply get a from-scratch wiring harness for an LS2 corvette? From-scratch harnesses seem to be cheap these days.

Gary's solution seems nice as well.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Will this work for you? If I had the cash I would buy it for a future project. Based on what i spent...this seems like a good deal!

http://www.pro-touring.com/showthrea...MAF-%28-900%29

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone convert their Drive By Wire to Drive By Cable?