Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superlight 240SX V8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Superlight 240SX V8 swap

So my journey of a swap starts with acquiring a base model, plain 1990 Nissan 240SX. The car was mostly rust free as I received it and had the original 2.4 liter single cam backed by a 5MT transmission. Stock curb weight is a hair under 2700lbs with manual windows, manual mirrors, no AC, and full interior.

My main priority is to keep the car as light and nondescript as possible. I purposefully want people to mistake this car for a Ford Probe or an economy car.

My main criteria so far are:
I would like this car to be under 2400lbs with the V8 engine.
I need this car to be mechanically sound and daily driver reliable - Although it will mainly be a weekend vehicle.
The exhaust must be as quiet as most new production sedans (with the cutout closed, if I use one).
I would like it to look like the LS engine and anything else under the hood is original equipment - No chrome or obviously out of place items.

The car's final weight with the iron block four, as it sits in my driveway with 5 gallons of fuel was 2338 pounds. That's with power steering and my heffalump cadillac sized S14 seats at 40 pounds each. No back seat, no heat or AC (summer toy, no need for heat or AC), no radio, and minor other things removed.

The engine I picked up to use is an 04 LM4 all aluminum 5.3 pulled from a trailblazer XUV. It will be backed by a 4l60E until I can save up enough to purchase a tick performance built T56.

I am currently in college and saving my money to make this swap happen, and when I am done in ~5 years I will be dropping in an LS7. No joke, 2400lb wet curb with an LS7. Should at least work for picking up groceries.

A mostly factory underhood shot. Ignore the hot air intake, my fan blade wore a hole through my O.E intake tube.

A picture of my false radio. Behind the faceplate is just storage space. I think it's ingenious.

A picture of my thumpin' sound system. The bottle cap is added for scale. Weighs in at exactly 3 ounces with batteries and I can hear it on the highway just fine.

Some exterior pictures. Would you personally guess this car could be capable of an easy 11 second run?

Looks sort of like a miata to me. And it doesn't weigh much more than a first gen either.

Engine out. Looks kinda sad.

Old next to new.

The new engine being prepped for install. Valve covers painted with cast coat aluminum for a clean factory look.

Last edited by raylit20; 08-25-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Teching In

To do:
Find source for 1/4'' steel plate
Make motor mounts
Make trans mount
Modify cross member for oil pan clearance
Finish wiring harness 98% done! - Knock sensor plug, injector wiring, and coil pack plugs still needed.
Convert rack to manual steering
Remove original engine harness and convert exisiting engine bay crap to work by itself. Everything seems to be tied together in one way or another.
Relocate battery to behind passenger seat
Find good exhaust shop that won't be confused by the words collector or resonator
Figure out what muffler to run to stay light and still be whisper quiet

Need to buy:
Vette Harmonic Damper - Done, LS6 unit purchased on LS1tech.com
F body auto floor shifter - Done, purchased via eBay.com
F body selector arm and cable - Done, purchased via eBay.com
F body aluminum driveshaft - Typically needs to be shortened about 2 inches
4L60E trans and flex plate (or need to find a really good deal on a T56)
LS1/LS6 intake manifold, injectors, and cable Throttle body - Mostly Done, Injectors, TB, and fuel rail all purchased. LS1 intake on it's way.
4 inch couplers and crap for intake
Vette manifold 2 bolt collector flanges
Vette/F body water pump - Done, F body pump purchased on LS1tech.com
Lightweight alternator
150 wet shot
Good MIG welder
Good life insurance
GTO oil pan (baffles?) Done, purchased on silviaV8.com
New radiator
Beer
Q45 3.54 rear pumpkin
5 pin MAF
Dakota digital conversion boxes (Or racepak IQ3 dash. Dunno if it's worth $800..)
Enkei RPF1's. 17x9 F 17x10 R - Tires will be 255/17's up front and 275/17's in the rear
New tension rod bushings
98-02 LS1 camaro motor mount shell OR 97-06 Vette motor mounts - Done, vette "biscuit" mounts purchased via RockAuto.com

Last edited by raylit20; 09-14-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Saved for more pictures.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Teching In

A few more pictures of my progress. Still waiting on a trans and a GTO oil pan so I can get started on the mounts.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like a pretty good plan. I think you will get away with the sleeper look until you start the motor. No way to hide that V8 exhaust note.

Why such heavy plate for the motor mounts? Seems like 3/16 will be more than sufficient. If the plates are long or something then weld in some gussets to make them more rigid.

Also mind if I ask your reasoning for an R230 rear? Does it give you better axle options/cheaper LSD or something? I thought 240sx's came with R200's. I know the R230 is a good bit stronger but an R200 with a limited slip is virtually indestructible already and is a good bit lighter.

I'm a 240z guy so not totally familiar the differences in options for the two cars. Quite a few guys running 9's on R200's.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Teching In

It was recommended to me that I use 1/4'' steel plate for mounts, and that's what others have used. The mounts are very simple to do and I don't think much over-engineering is necessary. Thanks for the tip on the thickness though, I will look into it.

I may have mis-typed the part about the Q45 rear. I am only planning on using the 3.54 rear gears, not the whole pumpkin.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Staging Troll

i like your idea, sorta what i want done to mine, as light as possable with a v8. also i like how you did teh 5 lug hub swap first too, i hat ehaving 4 lug, al teh wheels i want are crazy expensive in 4 lug
Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

This thing is going to be a monster. Cant wait to see the end result. subscribed
Old 09-14-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a extra T56 was planning on building it so I wouldn't have any down time but decided to pull mine out instead, send PM if your interested I also have factory flywheel and shifter assy, used a pro 5.0 and a spec flywheel.

The 240's are light already but aren't the coupes lighter than the hatch? I was going to buy a 89 coupe but I picked up my 95 240 for 300. I don;t know if your looking for a complete original look on the interior but a fiberglass dash from a cavalier fits perfect with slight triming, saves a ton of weight,
Old 09-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Do you need a GTO oil pan? If you do PM me. BTW, cool swap. There is one in my area I see now and then.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nissan LS240
I have a extra T56 was planning on building it so I wouldn't have any down time but decided to pull mine out instead, send PM if your interested I also have factory flywheel and shifter assy, used a pro 5.0 and a spec flywheel.

The 240's are light already but aren't the coupes lighter than the hatch? I was going to buy a 89 coupe but I picked up my 95 240 for 300. I don;t know if your looking for a complete original look on the interior but a fiberglass dash from a cavalier fits perfect with slight triming, saves a ton of weight,
Coupe's are said to be roughly 80 pounds lighter, but all of that weight is right over the rear wheels, reducing an already limited supply of traction. If you don't intend to use a spoiler then you are stuck with suspension design and weight over the driven wheels to keep you stuck down.

As for the trans, I would love to take that off of your hands once I get some more funds to put towards my project.

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
Do you need a GTO oil pan? If you do PM me. BTW, cool swap. There is one in my area I see now and then.
I just purchased one today, but thanks for the offer.

Last edited by raylit20; 09-15-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Should be good with a 150 shot. I'm hoping for 10's on the bottle @ under 2400lb curb, 2600lb with driver.

And the best part is people thinking the car is a probe.

Last edited by raylit20; 10-16-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone that'd mistake a 240 for a Probe should be pistol whipped.

Cool build, should be a real tire fryer.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:14 PM
Teching In

So I got some new hardware installed today. I also installed my LS6 aluminum harmonic damper and managed to somehow lose my valley cover.

And I finally got the engine in!

Disregard the tape. That was for pressure washing purposes only.

Also, this is how much I care about the old single cam. It's bathing in it's own blood. :p

I was surprised that I could lift it and walk around with no problems too. The interwebs tells me it's around 300lbs without the head and accessories.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

What ab to save a little weight, running a th350 or 400? And save funds too?
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

Oh, and I really like ur build...
Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Teching In

I ended up getting a great deal on a package setup with the motor mounts, T56 mount, and proper length conversion driveshaft. So I will be going T56 first rather than auto now, then T56 later.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:46 PM
Teching In

I straightened my hood some and grabbed a hammer and a tin snips and attacked the bracing on the under side. I also used my dremel to chop off a non-essential part of my throttle body. The end result is that my hood now closes and latches with the V8 underneath. The locals will be none the wiser.

I received my mishimoto radiator in the mail too. It will be relocated to a forward leaning spot inside of my bumper once I figure out what I am doing with my header panel and my headlights.

I also found and installed my valley cover and found that my stock throttle cable is the perfect length and fits the GM TB like it was factory. Beautiful.

You guys love pictures, right? I sure hope so because I have plenty.

Open. Love the two tone racing hood. :p

Closed. You can hardly see the dent I had to make.

This would have plenty of room like this. I am relocating the radiator either way though.

B-E-A-utiful.

A picture of what I am going to do for my cooling system. Note this was taken from pirate4x4.com

Old 12-11-2011, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Samberg makes a nice remote fill tank for FD RX7s

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?topic=126.0

Andrew
Old 12-11-2011, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

I have had four of these 240's always wanted to do an ls swap. GREAT JOB!

Quick Reply: Superlight 240SX V8 swap