Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small Power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Small Power steering question

Im Near the end of swapping my 2000 5.3l into my 79 chevy 4x4 3/4 ton truck, with a few little odds and ends, like exhaust, power steering, drivelines, and some final wiring and fuel line hanging and looming.

But my question here is about the power steering, the silverado 5.3l power steering pump that i have mounted to my motor, looks just like the original for the sb350, but the sb350 pump has sae fittings im assuming? and with the ls motors its all metric... so are the power steering fittings also?
is there a fitting i need to buy or make new lines to run my original lines to this ls pump?

thanks
Old 08-30-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have seen this solved three different ways...

Solution 1: You could actually take the fitting from the back of the SBC pump and put it on the reservoir for the Gen III truck pump (if it's the metal tank type) - problem solved.

2: You could have a custom line made if it is the plastic reservoir type or the factory line won't fit or reach.

3: Someone makes a metric to standard fitting for the gearbox side, but I can't remember where I saw it.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

well what i am wondering is if the ls power steering pump is metric fittings?

its the metal style pump and resivor combo like a regular small block chevy pump

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
I have seen this solved three different ways...

Solution 1: You could actually take the fitting from the back of the SBC pump and put it on the reservoir for the Gen III truck pump (if it's the metal tank type) - problem solved.

2: You could have a custom line made if it is the plastic reservoir type or the factory line won't fit or reach.

3: Someone makes a metric to standard fitting for the gearbox side, but I can't remember where I saw it.
the fitting can be removed from the back of the reservoir?
Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The high pressure fitting on the back of the power steering pump can be unscrewed and swapped.
Or you can use the metric hose, cut the end off that goes to the box, put on an inverted flair fitting and double flair it.
Or theres a company (Lee?) that makes an insert to allow you to mix fittings.
Or you can get metric/inverted flair to JIC adapters Speedway motors) and make your own hose.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Or you can get a new power steering box.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just go to your local Speed shop or call summit/jegs, tell them what you have, they will get you the fittings and hose you need and you will be on your way. you will have -6AN high pressure side hose.

Or like said before, just replace the adapter inside the back of the pump with your old one. I believe that still works.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:42 PM
On The Tree

Thanks everyone. I didn't know about the fitting coming off on the back. I just swapped them out. Works great

Quick Reply: Small Power steering question