Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use truck hybrid platform for an LSX conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone use truck hybrid platform for an LSX conversion?

I'm just curious if anyone has used the hybrid gas-electric LSX from the truck platform and transplanted it into something else yet. Haven't seen any, but think it would be an interesting swap.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am sure someone out there has also considered it or is trying it. I'd be interested to see one. Would like to know what the C.A.R.B take on passing and certifying it for SMOG in other required Smog year car/trucks.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

I saw a cutaway of that system at the LA auto show last year. Most of the "hybrid" technology appeared to be in the tranny. The engine itself looked like any Gen IV L92-head with AFM and VVT. I'd be curious to know if it uses a special ECM and whether or not it uses a separate TCM to control the hybrid system. It would definitely be an interesting swap and given the modularity of the LSx platform, it's probably quite doable.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ECM is probably different considering the ECM most likely communicates differently with the TCM and Hybrid control module than it would traditionally. The ECM does only control the engine side, as the TCM is located internally in the trans.

Looking at it though the engine is the same. I'd be willing to bet though that you can get a low mileage LQ9 or LY6, even a 6.2 for much much less than that engine.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ecm is the same, but with the number of controllers that support the hybrid system (not just the big HCP/TPIM under the hood) it would be nearly impossible to get it running without swapping the entire vech harness.