Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls2 swap in a 71-72 chevelle??

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls2 swap in a 71-72 chevelle??

I have been thinking about parting out/selling my vert ss f body and doing a chevelle swap. Im out in California and ls swaps are getting very popular. Here in my circle of friends, we have already done a 370/ls3 top end 70 split bumper, a ls1 interior and motor/tranny Grand National, a 01 ls3 2dr Blazer, and a shitload of motor swaps. Everyone is very knowledgable about the ls series motors and we all have well built cars. I am looking into a 71-72 Chevelle and I know its going to be easier than the 70 because its definately 1 of the popular swaps being done. It has been a PITA getting info/parts on the 70 swap cuz we havent seen anyone do it yet. We kinda had to "wing it" based on other swaps and hope for the best. I know the basics of what needs to be done and I just want to see what type of money Im going to spend. I am going to be selling/parting out my SS to buy the Chevelle, and I already have a H-C-I full bolt ons LS2/built T56/,1 7/8 kooks to do the swap with. I am looking for input on what type of $$ I am going to spend on conversion parts(harness/fuel/mounts/brakes/ect.).I am not looking for labor quotes just parts estimates. Thanks in advance for your input
Old 08-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There shouldn't be any difference between a 70 or 71/72 except front sheet metal and bumpers.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, same stuff. For swap purposes 68(and maybe 66) though 72 should be more or less the same, but the 70-72 are pretty much identical. Only thing that might matter would be the convertibles have boxed frames, and that will likely be a non-issue as well. A cutlass/ gto would be the same too.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you read the FAQ, there is a A-Body thread that had many A-Body swap already documented and done every which way you want.. with all adapters, Different oil Pans, Accessories and intake and exhaust. You can pretty much buy every peice you need as a kit now adays.. On the Cheap $1500 - too $$$$ Can tell you number, it is more based on your Budget and what you want. The days of Winging it are pretty much gone with the amount of parts out there now.

Some figures off the top of my head....
Pan $200 (Notched), $450 (for cast Alum) -$600 (Aftermarket steel)
Plates and Mounts = $DIY to $75/$150(poly)
Wiring = $DIY to $800 (For new or modified one).
Tuning = $DIY to $550 (Mark Romans is in you area !)
Fuel System = $125 (diy, Using clamps and OEM/Rubber, With new pump and Vette FPR) to $1500 (Rick / Valley tank and pump, AN and SS Braided hose)

Good Luck

BC
Old 08-30-2011, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to a 70 Camaro (based on the "split bumper").

I'm happy with the LS2 i my 71 Chevelle. The only two issues I have are with the Spectre Fuel Tank (starvation issues) and the McLeods clutch I'm running.

I'm going to end up changing out my clutch disc due to excessive chatter when warm (McLeods Tech. line said they have discontinued the 800 Series disc due to chatter issues). I just hate the thought of pull the trans. The scattershield has to come out with it due to running Keisler's Hydraulic TOB.
Far as the Spectre Tank, I think I'm going to due some modifications to the tank myself to try to solve the starvation issues. (I had it for a year before installing it, so the warranty was already expired.)

I'm running the Edlebrock Headers and mounts, AutoKraft Pan, Corvette accessories (with the kwik Performance A/C relocation Brackets &Compressor).

I have no interference issues.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I am reading the title of the Thread .. He is referring to Chevelle he is going to be working on and not The Split Bumper F-Camaro. ?? (They are already done with the "370/ls3 top end 70 split bumper" (To be correct, it would be a 70 1/2 Camaro)).

And that we all (strtcar, chuck71) are referring to Chevelle swaps..
Old 08-30-2011, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The split bumper is listed as something they've already done, and he then says chevelle again and mentions it being hard because nobody has done a 70. Since he states he has already done a 70 camaro himself it wouldn't make sense to then say nobody has done one (by saying chevelle and meaning camaro). Of course, nothing says any of it has to make sense.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Just to clarify, I want to do a Chevelle swap. We (my friends collectively) have already dont the above mentioned swaps so I was simply divulging the info just to let you know Im not a newbie with no clue of the process,time, and $ it takes to complete a ls project. The camaro was difficult as we didnt have any "tech support" available cuz as far as we knew there wasnt anybody that has offered a build diagram on one. So we pretty much had to "wing it" on most of everything.

The Grand National swap there was no $ involved because my cousin used f body everything. motor,tranny,ecu/harness, fans, gas tank, dash/bcm, center console, 2 front seats, front brakes...damn near everything. I was surprised he pulled it off but he did and it is cool as hell.

The blazer (which bczee can verify/seen)is a true ls3 and my buddy fabbed everything. He did the welding/wiring/remounting, everything. The truck is a full custom build. Nothing fir properly. It runs like a champ too.

I hope I have clarified everything and hope to get a solid estimate of what I would spend. I would like it to be no more than a 2 month project. My camaro is as nice as they come and I want to make sure I am parting it out/selling it for a realistic build. Including motor/tranny I have damn near 20k into my car but it is a 98 and a vert which I know are both frowned apon. Thanks for all input

Originally Posted by usc2001gc
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he was referring to a 70 Camaro (based on the "split bumper").

I'm happy with the LS2 i my 71 Chevelle. The only two issues I have are with the Spectre Fuel Tank (starvation issues) and the McLeods clutch I'm running.

I'm going to end up changing out my clutch disc due to excessive chatter when warm (McLeods Tech. line said they have discontinued the 800 Series disc due to chatter issues). I just hate the thought of pull the trans. The scattershield has to come out with it due to running Keisler's Hydraulic TOB.
Far as the Spectre Tank, I think I'm going to due some modifications to the tank myself to try to solve the starvation issues. (I had it for a year before installing it, so the warranty was already expired.)

I'm running the Edlebrock Headers and mounts, AutoKraft Pan, Corvette accessories (with the kwik Performance A/C relocation Brackets &Compressor).

I have no interference issues.
I havev a new stage 3 monster/tick set up so I dont see any problems there. Thanks for your input

Originally Posted by bczee
If I am reading the title of the Thread .. He is referring to Chevelle he is going to be working on and not The Split Bumper F-Camaro. ?? (They are already done with the "370/ls3 top end 70 split bumper" (To be correct, it would be a 70 1/2 Camaro)).

And that we all (strtcar, chuck71) are referring to Chevelle swaps..
Hey Brian, how u been? Thanks for the clarification here. Yes, I am wanting info on the Chevelle swap as WE have just done a 70 camaro split bumper. You read right!! Oh, and Mark does take care of my car!! FWIW
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

so its official. this build is going to happen. I just started looking for a car today. So hopefully u guys can help me make some decisiions. Here are my right now q's....

oil pan- I have a f body and a 05 gto pan right now. Should I use 1 of those or sell them both and get anothere 1?
Headers- I have a set of 1 7/8 kooks for my f body. keep them or sell them?
fuel- I know its preference
radiator/fans-f body? or conversion?
mounts-what mount kit do I get? or have them fabbed?
brakes-i have my f body spindles. kepp them? c5 route?

Also are there any pointers anybody can give me as a heads up. Stuff like you wont know til u get there type of stuff. All input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by blackedout drop ls1; 09-05-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Quick Reply: ls2 swap in a 71-72 chevelle??