Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick the best swap vehicle - SUV 'vert

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick the best swap vehicle - SUV 'vert

I'd like to sell my 2001 V8 Grand Cherokee and get something more fun since it's no longer my daily driver. This will be used to haul the dog, pull a small 18' boat several miles to the lake, and travel 2 hours to see family in the winters (NC mountains with snow). Might also take it offroad occationally.

I was originally planning on a K5 Blazer but my wife likes full convertibles and the 68-75 Blazers are pretty expensive. Also looked at a Jeep but the TJs are still pretty expensive and it's hard to find nice CJs and YJs. From what I understand, the 700R4 in the Blazer could be reused but the Jeep would require a tranny and adapter for the transfer case.

I plan to buy a 5.3 or 6.0 and put a cam in it before installation for 350 - 400 hp. I want something that is rust free and has nice body/paint or is cheap enough to get it painted. Hope to keep it all under $6K - $7K. I'm thinking a nice K5 blazer, older TJ or a YJ or CJ could be found for around $3500 with a bad engine and maybe transmission and spend another $2500 - $3500 on the swap. I would do all the work unless it requires welding.

Are there any other advantages that should sway me one way or another? Would one vehicle be much easier than the others? Any other vehicles I should consider?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a 75-80 IH Scout II. D44s front and rear, fully convertable (with fiberglass top), and MUCH better looking than the blazers. There have been a couple swaps already- check out Binder Planet for some ideas. I wish I'd have a)kept mine, and b) done an lsx swap in it.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Jeeps CJ and YJs make poor tow vehicles because of their short wheelbase. You mentioned that you only tow the boat a few miles, that is probably fine. But you probably do not want to get into a situation where you are towing your boat long distances or at speed with a short wheelbase Jeep.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Get a 75-80 IH Scout II. D44s front and rear, fully convertable (with fiberglass top), and MUCH better looking than the blazers. There have been a couple swaps already- check out Binder Planet for some ideas. I wish I'd have a)kept mine, and b) done an lsx swap in it.
Good call... Scout has always been on the list but they seem to be harder to find than the others. Although that's one of the reasons why I like them.

Any reason why I should target 75-80?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by debreshnev
Jeeps CJ and YJs make poor tow vehicles because of their short wheelbase. You mentioned that you only tow the boat a few miles, that is probably fine. But you probably do not want to get into a situation where you are towing your boat long distances or at speed with a short wheelbase Jeep.
Yeah, there's pretty much no chance I'll need to tow it other than the few miles on a side road. I almost didn't consider a Jeep then realized it should be fine at lower speeds and short distance. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Teching In

I've added Jeepster Commando to the list. So, out of the following vehicles, would any of them be significantly cheaper and easier to swap? I'm guessing the Blazer would be easier since there is more info out there.

K5 Blazer
Jeep TJ
Jeep YJ
Jeep CJ
Jeep Commando
Scout
Old 09-01-2011, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

IH made discs and the D44 standard in late-74/75, so the vast majority of pre-75s have a D30 up front and drums on all 4 corners. But they're still great trucks regardless - my 72 was an absolute blast.

Some SII swap info I saved - Bo185 on here can help ya if you find a Scout.

Last edited by hookemdevils22; 09-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
IH made discs and the D44 standard in late-74/75, so the vast majority of pre-75s have a D30 up front and drums on all 4 corners. But they're still great trucks regardless - my 72 was an absolute blast.

Some SII swap info I saved - Bo185 on here can help ya if you find a Scout.
Wow... tons of great info in there. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't have considered a 62. But this one makes me drool a little. If I could fit a mountain bike in the bed of this, I would have to consider this for my next project.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl.../photo_03.html

Thanks for getting me daydreaming guys.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Not the easiest chassis, and I have no idea how common on the east coast (or un-rusted out), but early (pre-90) 4runners. They had removable hard tops.

Or 66-77 Broncos. Problem is they are just about as expensive as the vert Blazers.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

@altitude, I saw that one being trailered back from a show in scottsdale about a year ago. man, what a cherry piece.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by sjumani123
Compact SUV is one of the hottest segments. My new Mahindra Xylo is one of the best SUV in Indian market. Performance and fuel efficiency are both much better with Xylo. Xylo offers tenacious all-wheel drive grip, the best handling in the class, on bitumen or dirt roads, a comfortable ride and ample space for four.
Is this SPAM? Well placed SPAM??? I just looked at the pics, and it's not a convertible and looks kind of small, not to mention probably not available here?

Quick Reply: Help me pick the best swap vehicle - SUV 'vert