Sponsored by:

Question on L76 from a Pontiac G8 into 68 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question on L76 from a Pontiac G8 into 68 Camaro

Hello Everyone,

Does anyone have any experience with the L76 / 6L80E combination from a Pontiac G8? I am looking for a combo to swap into my 68 camaro and was wondering if anyone has used this combo for a similar type of swap. Specifically I am curious about the following:

How are the accessories placed on the L76 taken from a G8? Would they work on this swap or would I need to buy new brackets, etc. for the accessories?

I have found some posts on the 6L80e in a swap into a first gen Camaro but there is not alot of info out there. Does anyone know the minimum amount of transmission tunnel modification needed to get this trans to fit? I wanted to be sure I can still use my stock console, wasnt sure how extensive the tunnel mods actually have to be.

Is it easier to use this trans with one type of motor mounts compared to another brand? Thinking that maybe mounting the motor further forward might reduce the tunnel mods. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me here.

Matt
Old 09-06-2011, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If your worried about cutting the tunnel, skip trying to install this trans. Tunnel mods will be extensive. Pan hangs low if the engine and trans are not tucked way up into the car. Your better off using a TCI 6 speed that is made from a 4L80E case. The G8 front accessories would work with minimal mods though.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks LS1Nova. I am not necessarily opposed to cutting up the tunnel, just curious as to how much needs to be cut, how far it needs to be raised to clear the tunnel, etc. Of course I would rather cut less than cut more, and I want to be able to use my stock console. So I am probably more curious about how much bigger the tunnel needs to be and where the tunnel needs to be enlarged.

I may go a different route and do something with a 4l60e instead but I have an opportunity for the L76/6l80e so thought I would see what responses I get on this.

Quick Reply: Question on L76 from a Pontiac G8 into 68 Camaro