Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0L (LQ4) into 68 Impala?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0L (LQ4) into 68 Impala?

Hoping to get some pointers here. I'm looking at picking up a complete 6.0L engine from one of the local salvage yards. It's complete intake to oil pan, including accessories. I plan on going Carb so I will also be getting the edelbrock conversion kit with the MSD Ignition as well as a Barry Grant 850 Carb. Besides motor mounts and headers, what other parts will I need to purchase for this swap? I'm currently stationed in Alaska but will be moving back to the east coast, so I would also like to have AC and Heat. The 68 I have is a fastback with a 350 and powerglide. I do plan on keeping the powerglide. So yeah, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
-Brian
Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe an adapter for your transmission. I personally can't see why anyone would take a beautiful engine and *destroy* it with a carb. EFI is the only way to go. Instead of getting an intake, new carb, MSD controller, all you'd need is the ECM, a weekend to modify the harness (it can be done, I did it and my car started on the first try), an inline fuel pump and a fabbed return line, and a corvette regulator.

You can re-use the truck's bracketry but it is so ugly that it is worth spending the $300 for the kwik brackets. Will you be replacing the cam?
Old 09-12-2011, 05:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also you have the oil pan to think about, as well as the power steering - odds are you'll need custom power steering hoses.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Will a grand cherokee steering box fit an impala the way it does a chevelle? That would eliminate the need for custom hoses.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EFI a better way? Probably. The only way? Not even close. Personally I prefer a carb under the hood of a classic and honestly just don't feel like dealing with ECM's or fabbing a wiring harness. Besides, it's a toy, why not go with a classic look?
I probably will replace the cam, but first thing will be getting it installed and running correctly, that way it's easier to track down any gremlins that may turn up.

Quick Reply: 6.0L (LQ4) into 68 Impala?