Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project E36.0 M3

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project E36.0 M3

Hi everyone, new member here but thought I would post my swap here as well since you all are familiar with the LS series engines and you knowledge is invaluable.

My current engine in my M3 has been through 2 headgaskets, a VANOS and various other things. Currently its making rattling noises that no one has been able to figure out. Instead of dropping big cash to rebuild and freshen the whole engine only to net a low 200hp I decided it was better spent on a completely new engine that is more receptive to mods and could also bump up my power quite a bit.

The LS1 is the usual swap into a BMW M3 but I ended up randomly finding a great deal on craigslist for a bare LS2.

This will be a slow build as I am a underpaid college student. I dont plan to swap until a maybe Spring. Ill be gathering as many parts as I can until then

Sunday September 4th 2011 I drove 2 hours to pick up an LS2 block.

Cylinder 4 has some light scratching from removal of the pistons. Might be able to see it a little in this picture. I plan to get that cylinder re-sleeved.

How to rebuild LS series engines book came in on Friday. The guy who I bought the LS2 from recommended it to me. Two hours after I got it I had already read the entire assembly section (half the book) and familiarized myself with the overall assembly procedure.

Ordered an engine stand from Home Depot. Should be here soon.

This is my first engine build ever so I will be taking slow.

After doing some various reading on the web I've come up with a simplified parts list, let me now what you guys think about these:

Mahle forged pistons (stock bore)
Carrillo forged rods
Trick Flow 235 heads
Texas Speed 228R cam
Fast intake 90mm
Lunati High RPM roller rockers and pushrods
ARP everything

It will be an N/A motor for now but if I have a chance to build it then I might as well BUILD it. I am thinking about stroking it to 4" but it really depends if I find a good deal on a stroker crank, otherwise Ill keep the stock crank and do as much as I can with that.

Last edited by cfn101788; 09-16-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Project E36.0 M3