Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into a 1984 K10 Chevy truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LS1 into a 1984 K10 Chevy truck

Ok i am about to dive into a swap of a 2002 LS1 from a Z28 into my 1984 chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 truck. I have read alot on this site about what works and wont work and what to do and not do. Its all been a HUGE help. What i am wondering is...i have the complete car as a donor, in fact i drove it home. What i am wondering about is why cant i remove the engine and harness and computer from the car and put it all back in the truck with the correct mounts and such. I know i will need to get a better fuel system but i am prepared for that. Why do i "have" to modify all of the wiring and such for it to run? I know i will have to have the VATS removed and the computer reprogrammed for the 700r4 i plan to run. Other than that why wont it just basicly be a install it in the truck and start it up? I under stand it wont be as "clean" of a swap if i leaving the wiring and all but i would like to get it running and on the road as soon as i can.
Thanks for any advice or help.

Andy
Old 05-13-2011, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can do it that way, its just a preference, and reduces the amount of uneeded wires and emissions equipment. I did my very first engine swap like this back in 2001, there were wires everywhere that werent being used but the car ran like a raped ape once I had the vats deleted from the pcm.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by deuce4935
You can do it that way, its just a preference, and reduces the amount of uneeded wires and emissions equipment. I did my very first engine swap like this back in 2001, there were wires everywhere that werent being used but the car ran like a raped ape once I had the vats deleted from the pcm.
My thoughts are to do it this way at first to get it up and running then go back and clean it all up over the winter time for a project.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I am new at this swap also, I am putting a 1999 LS1 5.3 into a 1984 c10 2 wheel drive this engine was in a 4x4 truck, I guess I have allot to ask and allot to learn, so I could use all the help I can get, I guess the first thing I need to know is will the 350 turbo trans bolt to the LS1 engine, should I use the torque convertor from the turbo or the one from the 460LE trans, again I could use all the help I can get thanks everyone
Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbarnett
Hey I am new at this swap also, I am putting a 1999 LS1 5.3 into a 1984 c10 2 wheel drive this engine was in a 4x4 truck, I guess I have allot to ask and allot to learn, so I could use all the help I can get, I guess the first thing I need to know is will the 350 turbo trans bolt to the LS1 engine, should I use the torque convertor from the turbo or the one from the 460LE trans, again I could use all the help I can get thanks everyone
4x4 engine or 2wd, doesn't matter. If you plan to use a turbo 350 then you have to use a th350/th400 converter as it doesn't interchange with a 4L60E. Bellhousings are the same minus one bellhousing bolt next to passenger side head (not neccessary). Also, the crank snout to converter spacing is a bit different. You have a few options:

Custom flexplate to adapt to older trans (300-400$$$$$)
Customer spacing on torque converter (500-600?$$$)
Hugh crank spacer (50$)
GM 4L80E/6.0L spacer (recomended 40~$)

I ran a 6.0 flexplate (flat) and the spacer between the flexplate and crank, worked great for about $60. Changing flexplate from the 5.3 (curved) is not neccessary, I only did because mine was damaged. However it does change the positioning of the GM spacer to between the converter and flexplate (5.3) rather than between crank and flexplate (6.0L MOST).

Confused yet? lol
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by superbean
4x4 engine or 2wd, doesn't matter. If you plan to use a turbo 350 then you have to use a th350/th400 converter as it doesn't interchange with a 4L60E. Bellhousings are the same minus one bellhousing bolt next to passenger side head (not neccessary). Also, the crank snout to converter spacing is a bit different. You have a few options:

Custom flexplate to adapt to older trans (300-400$$$$$)
Customer spacing on torque converter (500-600?$$$)
Hugh crank spacer (50$)
GM 4L80E/6.0L spacer (recomended 40~$)

I ran a 6.0 flexplate (flat) and the spacer between the flexplate and crank, worked great for about $60. Changing flexplate from the 5.3 (curved) is not neccessary, I only did because mine was damaged. However it does change the positioning of the GM spacer to between the converter and flexplate (5.3) rather than between crank and flexplate (6.0L MOST).

Confused yet? lol
Yep....totaly confused! No....that is some good advice there for sure.

Quick Reply: LS1 into a 1984 K10 Chevy truck