Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle

I know this has been done before, but the components may be different and the pitfalls will be noted.
My car is equipped with a Unisteer Rack and Pinion Kit, which has its own pitfalls.
I started with a 2005 Iron Block 5.3
Headers: Headman Husler (these are pre-release versions)more on this.
Mounts: Trans-Dapt
Oil Pan: Milodon Road Race
Accessory drive: Started out as F-Body, but will end up being all Kwik Perf.
Intake: Performer LS-1 w0edelbrock carb
Cam: Crane w-218/220 duration and 551/551 lift (need to check my specs)

Started with pulling the Gen1:
Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle-start-swap.jpg

Now the engine compartment is cleaned, painted and ready for the 5.3
Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle-engine-bay-cleaned-new-tq-converter.jpg

Getting the LS into place..and it's fighting us here. The trick is to Slide the transmission back about and inch and drop the engine straight in...Easier said than Done, but done none the less. The pan kept getting hung up on the brake line and the retainer clips.
Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle-setting-ls-place.jpg

Now with the engine in place I must say the Milodon pan fits great. It looks lower than the crossmember, but actually it sits half an inch higher....
Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle-milodon-road-race-pan-fits-nice.jpg

The original plan was to use F-Body accessory drive. I thought this wouldn't be a problem because I was running a rack and pinion. Well the best laid plans.. you know the rest. Just Look.
Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle-rp-linkage-prevent-f-body-acc.jpg
This will require a call to Kwik Performance for one of there F-Body Alt/ps Brackets.

Next came the headers. I got these back in March(I think)and they were just introduced...I informed the Hedman rep of which pan I was using and they said "they should fit any Milodon Pan" and they can with a Minor design change. The passenger side fits flawlessly and clears the starter and pan kick-out, but the Driver side crashed into the pan kick-out and was right against the brake lines and prop. valve which requires the valve and lines to be re-located on top of the frame rail. Trust me that I have been in touch with the rep, sent pics and we'll see how this goes.
Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle-header-interference-w-pan.jpg

Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle-header-hits-prop-valve.jpg
Well we went as far as we could go in three days with the driver side header taking the wind out of our sails and knowing we weren't going to get it started, but we got allot done in three days and once I get the header sorted out and new accessory brackets I should be good to go.
Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle-progress-so-far-9-30-11.jpg

Last edited by Pro-Tour Heavy Chevy; 10-04-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Staging Lane

Still working with Headman regarding the driver side header. They are sending some materials for me to Modify/make the one tube so it won't hit the oil pan...they suggested I switch to a CTS-V pan, but that hangs below the crossmember. I sent them pics regarding the dangers of using the CTS-V pan. They were apparently unaware of this and are looking into it....Also pointed out that the majority of the aftermarket pans that don't drag on the ground have some kind of driver side kickout...They did agree that the one tube that is pressed up against the Proportioning Valve and brake lines would have to be changed (once I convinced them that it IS in the stock location).
Stay tuned and wish me luck.. Once the tubing gets here I can start fixing the header tube..Thank God I have a friend who has a TIG Welder and knows how to use it....
Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

I am in the process of collecting parts for an almost identical build in a 72. What are the downfalls on the rack kit? Not really leaning towards that mod but still curious.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

There are no downfalls that I can think of..You just cannot run the F-Body pulley system like I was originally planning.. The housing where the input shaft on the rack prevents you from mounting the Alternator...I am now going to use the KwiK Performance Alt/PS Brackets and everything clears...It will be a couple of weeks before I will get a chance to work on it since I have to get ready for the SEMA Show....I am running the Unisteer R&P Kit and I like it allot...The steering shaft won't pose any problem with headers either.

Quick Reply: Build Thread: Carbd' 5.3L W-200/4R in 71 Chevelle