Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with swap badly

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with swap badly

I got a 87 mustang hatchback going to either 5.3 or 6.0 have both motors sitting.

Im however thinking of trying to use the stock 5.0 K-Member and just building some kinda base plate to bolt the ls mounts to.

I also heard in doing this I can run either a set of f-body headers or 302/351 swap headers adn cut the flange off and add the ls flange to it.

Can someone spread some light on this for me?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't help much on the Mustang setup and mounting. Sorry...

But it is a common thing to use a set of header that are from the car your swapping into (i.e. your 5.0 Mustang), that way most of the routing and fit of the header is mostly done for you. It helps to start with a set of headers that had tube spacing close to the bore/exhaust ports spacing. That way you only have to weld on the LSx flange and maybe some minor Tweeking of the tubes if needed. As are your 5.0 header, but they might be a bit small in the tube size.

Others have successfully done like swaps with GM Cars (Camaro, Nova and Chevelle, etc) by doing this with BBC header for the swap car.

Good luck.

BC
Old 10-12-2011, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it seems like every week somebody decides to start a thread about a mustang build. at some point in the thread the op usuallystates how he would like to utilize the stock k-member. people have claimed to be able to use it although I do not recall seeing any pics of success stories.
1. good luck
2. use the search feature
3. please post pics if you get it to work properly w/ the stock k-member

Is it time for a fox mustang build sticky?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can use the stock kmember. you can make your own mounts like i did or you can purchase some. their is a company that makes them that lets you use the stock kmember. the 302/351 headers with the flange cut are used by alot of us for this swap. someone on here said the 2010 camaro manifold and headers will work. the trans mount is tricky. it depends on which trans you use. i used a longtail th350 and adapted the ford transmount to work with trans. my trans xmember was still in the factory location.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check this site out
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...ory_Code=CNV19