Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS Stopped Working - Troubleshooting Help?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VSS Stopped Working - Troubleshooting Help?

I have a problem and am looking to see if anyone else has run into something similar.

I have a LY6 in my Chevelle for 1.5 years and have been running a GMPP controller and harness set up. The trans is a Tremec Magnum 6-speed which uses a Ford style vehicle speed sensor.

The VSS has been hooked up and was working fine until I noticed that it stopped working a couple of months ago. I have a mechanical speedo, but understand that the computer uses vehicle speed for driveability and such. When I hook up my HP Scanner I can see that there is no longer a speed signal. I also notice that the revs seem to hang a bit when shifting, although I am not 100% certain this is related to lack of VSS.

Anyway, I checked the continuity of the leads all the way to the controller, checked the resistance across the sensor as well as through the harness and sensor together. Everything looked OK. I wasn't expecting much, but I even tried a new sensor as it was only $20. Still nothing. The last thing I tried was to determine if the "tension" on the harness is sufficient to ensure good contact with the pins on the controller - seemed OK.

Anyone have a similar problem or suggestion?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seem like you have check almost everything.

But I didn't see anything about the voltage coming from the ECM to teh Sensor (+5v or +12v depending on the sensor and signal type?)

Quick Reply: VSS Stopped Working - Troubleshooting Help?