Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

64-67 A body rear control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64-67 A body rear control arms?

I need to get some sort of adjustable upper control arm for my 66 GTO so I can adjust my pinion angle. I have been looking into this a little bit further and I am now thinking maybe I should get adjustable lowers as well. I have read that changing the top angle and pull your whole rear end either too far forward or push it too far backward in the wheel well. This will not only look bad because the wheel will not be centered in the wheel well but can also cause your driveshaft to be to short or long.... Does anyone have any suggestions? As for the parts it seems that UMI, BMR, Spohn are all about the same I don't really want to spend the money on Currie any thoughts? I've been leaning toward UMI.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

I cannot visualize in my head how adjusting the uppers would move the axle assembly enough to be concerned about.

However, adjustable probably would not hurt and allow you to position the axle perfectly.

I went with the UMI "ultimate" kit cause I am a dumbass but suspect that I will have to change out the ends to some Spohn ones soon http://www.spohn.net/shop/Del-Sphere-Pivot-Joints/

UMI offers a version of those but they were unwilling to switch mine out for me and let me pay the difference so I will use them for a few months and upgrade to a better piece for my usage.

Aside from the unwillingness to work with me on what I thought was a reasonable request the UMI arms seem well made.

I would stay away from the poly upper axle bushings though. I let them sell me those too for the reason mentioned earlier and now I am looking at replacing them either with some more rubber ones or with these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GLS-SP-47/
Old 10-17-2011, 06:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello FatfreeGTO, thanks for considering our products, I will be glad to try to help you.

Adjustable upper control arms will allow you to set the pinion angle. Adjustable lower control arms shouldn't be used to attempt to change the pinion angle. We only recommend using adjustable lower control arms to center the rear end, if this is needed. This is usually only needed when running a much taller tire and clearance is needed. Other than this we usually recommend fixed length lower control arms with the adjustable uppers. We offer multiple bushing choices depending on vehicle application or use. One benefit our control arms do have over the competitors is they do not require grinding to fit 12-bolt rear ends, if you are using a 12-bolt or ever plan on it.

How do you drive this vehicle? I will be glad to make my recommendations.

rfrankb4- I am sorry to hear it didn't work out, I don't know the details regarding the order or information but I apologize if you had a bad experience.

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 10-17-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys.

As for how I drive the car, its just a cruiser that I beat on from time to time, probably take to the track a couple times. I'm more concerned with cornering then drag strip times. I am running a 27" tall rear tire 255/50/17 and am lowered on hotchkis springs with bilstein shocks. I have all new poly bushings in the suspension but since I did it I have read bad things about poly.

In regards to UMI products:

I have read about the bushings in the "ultimate arms" wearing out after a year and making noise, was that a real issue Ryan?

Would the "roto-joint" be better?

Also I missed your labor day 15% off sale, is there a good chance that there will be another sale coming up soon?

Thanks
BJ
Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 AM
FormerVendor

BJ, thanks for the information... that helps a lot.

The Ultimate arms are assembled with spherical rod ends and are designed more for drag race applications. Although they are streetable they may increase noise to the vehicle slightly. A rod end is a solid bearing, there is movement rotational but no soft bushing to absorb bumps and harshness. Because of this they can produce noise over time. The rod ends we use feature a teflon injection that is oil impregnated, so as the bearing moves the injection keeps it lubed and tight. Overtime, like any bearing the teflon can wear and the joint may increase in noise. It will still perform the same but the lining can wear. We actually have no complaints on noise when running the rod ends in a upper control arm. Lower control arms can be a little more sensitive. So in short, if the vehicle is exposed to drag racing these are the ends you want, they are load tested at 28,000 lbs.

The Roto-Joint is an improved rod end, it allows the rotation of a rod end but uses a Delrin race to help absorb shock and keep it tight. This is the item I would recommend for your vehicle. The Roto-Joint will allow movement that polyurethane will not while still offering a quality ride. They are greaseakle and adjustable, so if they wear they can be tightened using the spanner wrench. Take a look at our part #4039.

Let me know if I can help anymore. Thank you!
Ryan
Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Ryan those look like a good choice for me. I'm going to wait for another sale like your labor day one that I missed to place my order.

Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
Thanks Ryan those look like a good choice for me. I'm going to wait for another sale like your labor day one that I missed to place my order.

Thanks again.
Sounds great and I am glad to help. I look forward to doing business.

Ryan
Old 10-22-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ryan I have one last ? On the lower rear control arms I had read that the boxed vs tubular were basically the same. I read that they were only made because some people liked the look of the boxed arms vs the tubular. Is there a performance difference between the two when both have the "roto joint"? I see a $100 price difference so I was just curious, these are the ones I'm talking about.

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=367

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=378
Old 10-24-2011, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Those items will both perform the same with no disadvantages to either one. I hope that helps!
Ryan

Quick Reply: 64-67 A body rear control arms?