Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

64 Chevelle Tie Rod Hitting Oil Pan

Old 03-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 Chevelle Tie Rod Hitting Oil Pan

I need some help. I have a ls1 in a 64 chevelle, using Street and Performance engine mount adaptors, with Energy Suspension Poly engine mounts with the spacer things, and a Street and Performance modified oil pan. My problem is that my passenger side inner tie rod is hitting my oil pan when you turn left. This has cut my left turn ability in half. I can turn right fine, because of that curve indentation on the drivers side of the pan. I haven't measured the angle of the trans output, so I might just have to modify my trans crossmember to lower the back. I have a 700-R4 trans. This trans was already in the car before, so I'm using the same crossmember. I emailed Street and Performance, but haven't gotten an email back yet. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 03-10-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 873 Posts

I suspect that your engine is too high in the rear. The 700R is longer then the original trans, so the crossmember needs to be modified to lower the trans. This will bring it back into proper alignment and most likely clear up your issues with the tie rod end.

Andrew
Old 03-10-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Same thing here, but it's the relay rod that's hitting the pan. I made my own mounting plates, but they function the same as the S&P ones. I haven't really laid out my tranny x-member yet, so that may be part of my problem. I have the T56 just sitting on top of the original Muncie member right now. I need to figure something out this weekend.

Just sharing your pain...

-Matt
Old 03-10-2004, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Matt,

I suspect you have the same issue. The T56 mount is a good 5-6 inches further back then the Muncie mount. This will cause the front of the engine to tip down.

Once you guys figure out your trans crossmember I think your steering linkage issues will be resolved.

Andrew
Old 03-10-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the reassurance Andrew!
Old 03-10-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wish I could give you a definite answer. I just have a gut feeling that I am right on this one. Please let us all know when you find out for sure!

Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 64 Chevelle Tie Rod Hitting Oil Pan