Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers for Street Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers for Street Rod

I am building a 1936 Olds Coupe with an LS engine. Do any of you have suggestions about brand and application for long tube headers that might work on a street rod?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't help with the long tubes but these short truck headers fit my '36 Chevy...

http://lpparts.com/store/page7.html

Not sure what you're doing for a steering column but my car required a "shorty" column that has it's first u-joint under the dash to clear the DS header. Otherwise, it was gonna have to be F-Body manifolds on mine (I tried 'Vette, truck and GTO).

I've got LOTS of pics of the headers and the problem I had with the '70s GM tilt column I'd planned to use if you want to see them.

Pretty sure our cars are almost identical from the firewall to just behind the doors.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just out of curiousity, are long tube headers the only way you want to go? Richard brings up very valid points regarding steering issues in the limited space we have to work in on street rods. Long tubes usually complicates the matter. Do you have the steering column and linkages in place on the car now?

I was lucky that I was able to get Sanderson to send me all 3 sets of headers they make for LS engines, I was told I could mix/match any pipes from any of the sets to find the ones that would fit my engine/chassis combo. I ended up using their block hugger set because the other 2 sets would have interfered in the steering column/linkage set-up.

I posted some pics in this older thread regarding headers.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got tired of waiting for someone to build something that would fit my car and look just right doing it. Just build your own, they will fit like they were made for it and the exit will be exactly where YOU want them. I did and I'm totally happy with them.pics in here : https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...vette-lq4.html
Old 10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

I put an LS1 6 speed in my 39 Chevy and an LS2 4L65E in my 37 Buick. On both of them I used manifolds. It seems like I used GTO on the passenger side and CTSV on the drivers side. I modified the column at the floor with u-joints. My Chevy is MII and my Buick is stock steering sector. I thought perhaps headers from an early Camaro might be made to clear a steering sector and A-arms. I have read that shorty headers are little if any better than manifolds. If this turns out to be too much $$$ or BS I will use manifolds and change pulleys on the blower.

I am putting the short block together now. Next week I will do the final assembly, attach the transmission. I can then trial fit the engine and tranny and see how it will fit and how much room I will have.

I appreciate your input.

Last edited by Buckndol; 10-21-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Has anyone tried early Camaro headers on a street rod converson?