Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS swap into a previous LT1 Monte SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS swap into a previous LT1 Monte SS

Good friend of mine just bought a clean '88 MCSS with an lt1 swap. the motor has low compression in one cyl, and rather than throw another lt1 in he wants to put a 5.3 motor into it. any idea what would need to be changed and what would still work? not to familiar with the lt1 vs ls1 stuff. thanks guys
Old 10-25-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read through the gbody swap thread, lots of good info in there. I just finished reading through all 30+ pages.

Faster to just search through google, search "ls1tech the gbody swap thread"
Old 10-25-2011, 11:21 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Effectively the LT1 is prettymuch a GEN I SBC, the 305 that was factory in the monte and the LT1 have a lot of similarities where as the LS1 is a whole nother animal. You should be able to re-use the fuel system from the LT1 swap, although you may have to swap out the fuel pump for a higher pressure one depending on what fuel pump they used for the LT1 swap. You may be able to reuse the transmission depending on what trans is in there right now. The speedometer may be able to be used if it is a electric one, or if your staying with a non-computer controlled trans that still has the mechanical speedo output. But the motor mounts, brackets, accessories, computer, wiring, etc will all need to be swapped out. If he is up for a little fabrication, or even just buying the parts to make it a bolt in its still a great swap. You can pick up used 5.3L`s cheaper than LT1`s, and they make more power too.

Quick Reply: LS swap into a previous LT1 Monte SS