Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700R4 swapped to 4L60E, a question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700R4 swapped to 4L60E, a question...

Hi,

In my -82 Corvette there's LS1 swapped from Camaro z28 2001, the swap was done by the previous owner of the car.

The original shifter plate in the center console of the Corvette says: P-N-D-3-2. Meaning 1st gear cannot be selected manually. Is this somehow related to the fact that there was no lock-up function in 1st gear in 700R4?

There shifter plate in Camaro z28 2001 says P-N-D-3-2-1, right? Now my questions:
1. Is there lock-up function in 4L60E in 1st gear? Meaning does it automatically change to 2nd at the limiter even though shifter is set to 1?
2. What would be the easiest way to get the 1st gear available in my car? Meaning having the schema P-N-D-3-2-1 instead of current P-N-D-3-2.
3. Do you think it would be worth the hassle? What would be the pros of having manual 1st available in 4L60E?

Many Thanks!!
Mika
Old 10-28-2011, 02:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Are you sure you know what trans you have? Throw the old shift plate away as it isn't labeled right anymore. Put the car in the lowest gear you can, drive it and see if it shifts. Buy this http://www.shiftworks.com/corvette-68-81.htm
Old 10-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Are you sure you know what trans you have? Throw the old shift plate away as it isn't labeled right anymore. Put the car in the lowest gear you can, drive it and see if it shifts. Buy this http://www.shiftworks.com/corvette-68-81.htm
Thanks Chuck! Some clarifications:
-I'm sure about the tranny: 4L60E.
-The old shift plate is still right: P-N-D-3-2. And even if I remove the plate the 1st gear cannot be dialled, I'd suppose that's due to the shifter or its linkage. The shifter hole in the console is not the problem here, it would be big enough.

Answers to the questions below would still be appreciated.
1. Is there lock-up function in 4L60E in 1st gear? Meaning does it automatically change to 2nd at the limiter even though shifter is set to 1?
2. What would be the easiest way to get the 1st gear available in my car? Meaning having the schema P-N-D-3-2-1 instead of current P-N-D-3-2.
3. Do you think it would be worth the hassle? What would be the pros of having manual 1st available in 4L60E?

Thx!!
Mika
Old 10-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just read your post and I think I can explain your problem. A 700r4 will never have a manual 1st gear as these were designed to automatically shift to second from the factory at a given rpm. The only way to defeat this function is to use a Transgo shift kit specifically designed to hold first gear until you choose second gear. This is why the detent gate was never added to the factory shifter.You may add the detent if room provides on your shifter. As far as lockup the early 700r4s only locked up the converter in either 4th gear only or third and fourth gears.Lockup on the converter has nothing to do with the shifting of gears on these transmissions. It is only to reduce slippage in the converter thus reducing engine rpm at cruise speeds 200-300 rpm
Old 10-31-2011, 01:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
A 700r4 will never have a manual 1st gear as these were designed to automatically shift to second from the factory at a given rpm.

You may add the detent if room provides on your shifter.

Lockup on the converter has nothing to do with the shifting of gears on these transmissions. It is only to reduce slippage in the converter thus reducing engine rpm at cruise speeds 200-300 rpm
Thanks mantycarguy, your answers made it really clear!!

Now my only remaining question is if I should buy the shifter from Shiftworks as chuckd71 suggested or if I could modify the original one. I guess it's easiest to disassemble the original shifter and then figure it out.

However if someone has any advises for the mod please let me know.

Cheers!
Mika
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is room to modify your detent plate you could certainly use your existing shifter. You must then purchase the transgo kit to be able to manually hold first gear to any speed. The advantage to this is that shifts are then at optimal rpm points with your current combination. Without this kit the ecm is controlling your 1-2 shift point which may not be in your peak torque range.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
If there is room to modify your detent plate you could certainly use your existing shifter...
Thanks again! Back to garage, now I know the basics

Quick Reply: 700R4 swapped to 4L60E, a question...