Sponsored by:

L92 swap gremlins with alternator and VATS

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:55 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Default L92 swap gremlins with alternator and VATS

This swap is a strange one. Using HPtuners I disabled VATS 1+2 and turned off starter and clutch diag and it fired right up. Great right? Problem is every time I turn it off it only starts back up on 3 cyls. I have to flash the ECM again and then it starts up on all 8 again. The only strange thing Im finding when it runs on all 8 is the alternator takes a few minutes before it begins charging. Its a single wire F-body alternator so I wired it to the brown wire from the L92 harness and left the grey wire unconnected to anything. Also pin 52 yellow/black is also unconnected and Im wondering if either of these two might be part of the problem? Im starting to think the ECM does not like the low voltage from running off the battery for a few minutes and this may be the root of the problem but Im getting frustrated trying all sorts of hack fixes and figured someone here may have already ran into this issue and have a remedy. Sure would be nice if thats the case.

Anyone have any input?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
This swap is a strange one. Using HPtuners I disabled VATS 1+2 and turned off starter and clutch diag and it fired right up. Great right? Problem is every time I turn it off it only starts back up on 3 cyls. I have to flash the ECM again and then it starts up on all 8 again. The only strange thing Im finding when it runs on all 8 is the alternator takes a few minutes before it begins charging. Its a single wire F-body alternator so I wired it to the brown wire from the L92 harness and left the grey wire unconnected to anything. Also pin 52 yellow/black is also unconnected and Im wondering if either of these two might be part of the problem? Im starting to think the ECM does not like the low voltage from running off the battery for a few minutes and this may be the root of the problem but Im getting frustrated trying all sorts of hack fixes and figured someone here may have already ran into this issue and have a remedy. Sure would be nice if thats the case.

Anyone have any input?
yellow and black should be your starter relay enable control. I dont think that has anything to do with your issue...

thought about wiring your alt independently from the harness?

what codes come up before you reflash the computer?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:50 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

yellow and black should be your starter relay enable control. I dont think that has anything to do with your issue...
Thats why I didnt bother with it but Im grasping at straws here.

thought about wiring your alt independently from the harness?
Yes but does the ECM need to see alt? Or can I just leave it completely unhooked? If so I might try the resistor hack and see but I would like to have it wired properly if it can be

what codes come up before you reflash the computer?
Hard to say completely as I have cleared a bunch but none that stood out on me although i did have a p1682 driver 5 line 2 that I cleared previously I wasnt so sure about but irrc it was something to do with the TCM which I am not running as its a t56 swap. Anyways I could reflash to an older tune with no cleared codes and then run it and see all of them but as of right now ( i literally just tried it again ) its pulling

p0102
p0480 ( dont have the fans hooked up yet )
p0481
p1516
p2176
p1516
Old 10-30-2011, 11:18 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I should note that while its running on all 8 it pulls no codes at all. Its only after I shut it down and fire it back up that it runs on 3 and pulls those codes I listed. Weird one....
Old 10-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Launching!

r u sure you have vats disabled properly?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:20 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I have VATS 1+2 disabled and both the starter and clutch diag disabled as well. Unless there is anything else that Im not aware of?
Old 10-30-2011, 11:27 PM
Launching!

go to lt1swap.com, email Brendan, he may be able to help
Old 10-30-2011, 11:32 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Thanks I'll give it a try. I think Im going to try the hotwire resistor mod temporarily to the alt and start the tune from scratch again with my factory file and clear all the codes and whatnot and try a complete re-write and see if that makes any difference. I appreciate the info though I'll try that site as well thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 03:05 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I tried starting from scratch again with my factory file and ONLY clearing Vats 1+2 and the clutch/start locks and same thing. It ran great when I did the first start which I scanned and attached a couple of screen grabs of the codes it pulled but on second start it went to 3 cyl mode again. Blah
Attached Thumbnails L92 swap gremlins with alternator and VATS-07_escalade_codes_1.jpg   L92 swap gremlins with alternator and VATS-07_escalade_codes_2.jpg  
Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alternators are wired differently and depending on the wiring and the PCM you need to check to see what you should have. Check the wiring diagram for your particular motor PCM and wire the alternator according to the PCM or change the PCM to how your wiring is. You may be going into a low voltage situation where it is not charging correctly.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:18 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I did the resistor mod to the alternator and completely disconnected the ECM and its charging fine now but.... same deal each time I start it I have to flash it again. WTF???

Old 10-31-2011, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you tried a different PCM? I've heard the sometimes fry and do odd stuff.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Have you tried a different PCM? I've heard the sometimes fry and do odd stuff.
that could be it
Old 10-31-2011, 06:01 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

No I dont have a spare one sitting around but id try it if I had it. Ive tried everything I can think of at this point. I do see a LOT of posts about these ECM's especially the early ones having grief getting VATS cleared completely off. I even found a couple threads were the HP staff fixed it for a couple of guys but Im getting zilch in response over on their forum. A local friend of mine is a very experienced tuner Im going to email him my tune to have a look at and see if something comes up. Definitely weird
Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Ufffff I found this thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...e-manuals.html

In particular this post looks like Im in for some good times

https://ls1tech.com/forums/5175701-post4.html
Old 10-31-2011, 08:09 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Scratch that last post that doesnt apply. Ive narrowed it down some. I dont have to reflash the ECM to get it to run on all 8 all I have to do is clear the codes ( which I didnt realize you can do while its running ) and it immediately runs on all 8. The code that its detecting now is P0650 which is SEL error so Im going to look into what that means and why it would have such a drastic impact on how it runs. Fingers crossed
Old 10-31-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you have a working check engine light? I remember having some troubles before I had one hooked up (first test fires) but I can't remember the problem beyond the PCM making a bigger deal about it than I thought was necessary.

Some in depth information for you on that code...
Old 10-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Launching!

check all you fuses and relays (make sure they are all in properly) and disconnect your battery for a few minutes and re connect... ???
Old 10-31-2011, 09:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Do you have a working check engine light? I remember having some troubles before I had one hooked up (first test fires) but I can't remember the problem beyond the PCM making a bigger deal about it than I thought was necessary.

Some in depth information for you on that code...
I just read that too... why I suggested the check fuses, disconnect thing... hopefully its something simple for him
Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Ha! I googled the code and found the same info I guess because I just finished ohming out each and every fuse and relay. Then in dispair I disconnected my SES light thinking mayb the wiring I had was scaring it somehow but nada. I did find one slightly burred wire when I was installing the harness in the car that I just taped for the time being as I am yanking the harness back out to tape it up super clean but I just cut and soldered that lead together even though only one small wire was cut in the braid and still same. I havent yet hooked up my cooling fan so Im going to try that just so there is nothing left but these dang 1682 and 0650 codes.

Im starting to think there is something either wrong in the harness or the ECM is eukered as this engine came out of a bad write off so who knows what happened? The harness was chopped and I stripped it down, bought a second harness and made a cherry pie one out of the two with the ECM mounted under the dash and a very hidden harness on the engine side. Done plenty of these swaps now too and made a lot of harnesses but this is my first gen IV and so far?

But I'll get this sorted one way or another

Quick Reply: L92 swap gremlins with alternator and VATS