Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

homemade LS1 to SBC engine mounts ?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homemade LS1 to SBC engine mounts ?

I tried to look through the sticky's first before asking and didn't find it (but there's allot of stuff in the sticky's I could have missed it) I also tried to do a search and found a very limited amount of info but saw one guy with a basic steel plate and welded a clam shell to it.

I have been looking at "store bought" adapter plates most of them you also have to buy a clam shell separately and I'm still considering that route , but I have the steel or aluminum laying around and it mite take me longer on my old mill then some high tech cnc machine but $100+ saved is $100 I could spend on something else plus I like making stuff

is there any drawings or patterns for a one piece adjustable ls1 to sbc hard mount ? by "one piece" I mean the adapter plate backing with sbc calm shell type ears welded directly to it ? ............ can figure the basic plate out easy enough but the length of the ears and the position of the holes in the ears along with any angle required for the ears is what I am looking for.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IIRC.... the Clam Shell mounts still use the 3 bolt pattern of the more common / older style engine mounts. You can use any of the plates and mount the clam shell to the plates. You don't have to weld them on (you can if you want), they can be bolted as with the other type of adapter plates..

You can use the template in the FAQ to make the adapter plates for standard plates. For 1" setback. just extend or move the Clam Shell 1" forward and 3/16" lower. But you can move it anywhere as needed for your setup. (1/2", 3/4" forward as you might want).
Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 AM
Teching In

thanks I will have to try looking in FAQ section again to see if I can find that template

3/16" lower ...... why lower wouldn't it stay the same level?
Old 11-02-2011, 10:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

They sell them plates for $35..I paid that for the ones I'm using on my MCSS..
Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Teching In

cheapest adjustable plate I have seen was $50 plus shipping then I would still have to buy two decent clamshells $16.99 each plus shipping

I'm still considering that but would like make my own one piece brackets
Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

What are clamshells at the junkyard?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: homemade LS1 to SBC engine mounts ?