Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 burban l31 to lq4?

Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Default 96 burban l31 to lq4?

I have a friend who wants to swap his tired 5.7l vortec l31 A4 to and lq4 a4 and dont know where to try and find specific swap info on this truck.I had no problems doing my swap on my 87 transam with many swap parts and guides available.I know nothing about these trucks.he already has a complete lq4 motor,harness and ecu.

His concerns are can he reuse his current a4 trans and motor mounts,and will he have to use all aftermarket guages.Does anyone know of good sites or a guide for his application that i can start compiling a list of what has to be done.Hoping to have this swap done before middle of december.

Thanks
Old 11-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock gauges will work, so will the trans. Dunno about motor mounts but the truck oil pan and serp belt setup seems to fit pretty nice in the older trucks. Truck exhaust manifolds might work? Exhaust/frame clearance would be my biggest concern.

Is it 4WD or 2WD? 4WD adds some extra stuff to worry about, but it shouldn't be too hard to deal with.

You'll need something to deal with the trans shaft length...either the LQ4 flywheel that GM used with the older trans or a spacer, but those are cheap. Hell, the engine might already have the right flywheel on it, being a 6.0

Here's some more info:
3) Manifolds are close but they fit on my trucks.

4) Use the dirty dingo mounts that keeps the engine in the stock location. I wish they had those when I did my conversion way back when, would have made my conversion so much easier.

You can use the factory radiator with the NBS hoses, the top hose goes from the driver side to the top of the pump. Lower hose, again use the NBS factory hose. If you have a 34" core radiator you will need to use a hose off a 34" core truck, usually a 3/4 ton or 2006+ truck.

Last edited by 6.0Nova?; 11-02-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 burban l31 to lq4?