Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with T56 Magnum to LS2

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with T56 Magnum to LS2

I am trying to fit a T56 Magnum to an LS2 and I am running into problems finding a bell housing that will work. I originally ordered a complete kit from American Powertrain and they sent me the trans and bell the transmission will bolt to the engine when the pilot bearing is not installed but with the pilot bearing installed the input shaft of the transmission bottoms out on the pilot with about 3/8" of a gap at the bell housing. I talked to american power train again and they said there is a different bell housing for Gen 4 engines and sent me another one. Unfortunately it is exactly the same (same casting number) as the one I had before.

Has anyone had success fitting a T56-Magnum to a LS2? Can you tell me what bell housing you used?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was told I could use GM stock clutch parts with a GTO bellhousing. Haven't got that far yet though.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What pilot bearing did they send you? Sounds like you got the larger, outer roller bearing and should have the smaller inner bushing.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Banned

GTO bell housing and sounds like the pilot bearing is wrong.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The two fellas above me are more than likely correct. I had a customer run into the exact same problem you are having just a few months ago. He pulled the late pilot bearing and installed the early small diameter style and everything bolted together perfectly. Good luck with your swap!
Old 11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Teching In

The pilot bearing I am using fits inside the crank and is sits just a little bit inside the flange on the crank but it is a sealed bearing. Is there a smaller bushing that fits further back in the crank?

85MikeTPI if you have any more info on a smaller pilot can you give me a part number or source so I can give it a try?

Now American Powertrain is sending me a 3/8" spacer to fit between the engine and the bell housing but I think this is kind of a hack and would rather not use it if I do not have to.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was not aware of the input shaft length on a T56 magnum being any different than any other LS-based T56 or T6060.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:22 PM
FormerVendor

The top picture is the early LS1 style pilot bearing that you need. The second is of the later pilot bearing.

The 3/8 spacer is kindof a hack. Measure your bellhousing you received from American Powertrain. The OEM f-body/GTO bell is 5.5" deep.

The input shafts are the same length.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by debreshnev
The pilot bearing I am using fits inside the crank and is sits just a little bit inside the flange on the crank but it is a sealed bearing. Is there a smaller bushing that fits further back in the crank?

85MikeTPI if you have any more info on a smaller pilot can you give me a part number or source so I can give it a try?

Now American Powertrain is sending me a 3/8" spacer to fit between the engine and the bell housing but I think this is kind of a hack and would rather not use it if I do not have to.
There's a few threads on the large bearing vs bushing in the manual trans forum. I'm mobile right now and don't have the link handy. The large bearing came on the LS6 motors
Old 11-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Teching In

The pilot bearing was exactly the problem. I went out a picked up a pilot bearing for 1999 Camaro LS1 and it worked like a champ. Thanks a lot for everyones help.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:21 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by debreshnev
The pilot bearing was exactly the problem. I went out a picked up a pilot bearing for 1999 Camaro LS1 and it worked like a champ. Thanks a lot for everyones help.
Good deal! Glad you got it fixed.

Good luck with the rest of your project.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Jeremy, did you see a PM from me about the T56 Magnum?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:43 PM
HRD
Staging Lane

Great information. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but what GM hyd TO bearing works with the GTO bell and the magnum with its larger input shaft ? GTO?
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks thanks thanks

THANKS THANKS THANKS...
I was beside myself with what might be the problem.. I ordered it all together, everything I needed from D&D Transmission(except the pilot bearing, that came from GMPP) . Expecting everything to fit perfect..

I was fully convinced they sent me the wrong Bellhousing.. because of the input shaft hitting the pilot bearing, but with these photo's I now know the problem and solution, Off the GM tomorrow...
Sorry D&D for the bad thought's LOL
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions

The top picture is the early LS1 style pilot bearing that you need. The second is of the later pilot bearing.

BUMP

When did GM begin using the "late" style bearings? I've read that LS2's have the "late" style bearing but my '06 GTO LS2 appears to have the older style.

I'll replace it with the same style bearing as is currently installed but just trying to get educated. Obviously, not all LS2's (if any) have the "late" style bearing.

Tipsy
Old 08-25-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
BUMP

When did GM begin using the "late" style bearings? I've read that LS2's have the "late" style bearing but my '06 GTO LS2 appears to have the older style.

I'll replace it with the same style bearing as is currently installed but just trying to get educated. Obviously, not all LS2's (if any) have the "late" style bearing.

Tipsy
Tipsy,

The distinction between the small bearing and large bearing is not early or late, it is by chassis. The small bearing was used in the F-bodies, while the larger bearing came to be used starting with the C6 Corvette (LS2...LS7)

I believe the C5 (LS1) Corvettes used the small bearing as well.

In a nutshell, if a T56 is being bolted directly to the engine, the small bearing should be used. The larger bearing is used with the torque tube applications and it also works when retrofitting older style transmissions (T10, Muncie, TKO, Richmond) to a LSx engine when using the 621 bellhousing.

Tech tip: If you have both the engine and trans sitting outside the car, mock up the transmission and bellhousing to the engine WITHOUT THE CLUTCH. Then you can shine a light through the slots for the TOB lines and confirm pilot bearing engagement. Like this:

That's a big bearing being used with a 621 bellhousing and Richmond 6 spd.

Andrew
Old 08-25-2014, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

I am disheartened to hear that American Powertrain had no idea how to fix the issue, and only offered you a washer.

I was considering them for a T56. I think I will try to feel out a few other companies now.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Tipsy,

The distinction between the small bearing and large bearing is not early or late, it is by chassis. The small bearing was used in the F-bodies, while the larger bearing came to be used starting with the C6 Corvette (LS2...LS7)

I believe the C5 (LS1) Corvettes used the small bearing as well...

...Andrew
Excellent info. Thanks!

Tipsy
Old 02-07-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Tipsy,

I believe the C5 (LS1) Corvettes used the small bearing as well.

In a nutshell, if a T56 is being bolted directly to the engine, the small bearing should be used. The larger bearing is used with the torque tube applications and it also works when retrofitting older style transmissions (T10, Muncie, TKO, Richmond) to a LSx engine when using the 621 bellhousing.

Tech tip: If you have both the engine and trans sitting outside the car, mock up the transmission and bellhousing to the engine WITHOUT THE CLUTCH. Then you can shine a light through the slots for the TOB lines and confirm pilot bearing engagement. Like this:

That's a big bearing being used with a 621 bellhousing and Richmond 6 spd.

Andrew

For future readers, the bellhousing is deeper on some of the new cars requiring larger diameter bearing.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:01 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
For future readers, the bellhousing is deeper on some of the new cars requiring larger diameter bearing.
Along with that is an input shaft leñgth shorter than GTO/C5.

Quick Reply: Need help with T56 Magnum to LS2