Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

third gen oil pan clearance

Old 11-02-2011, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default third gen oil pan clearance

I'm worried about the center link it is just about touching the pan. Anybody else have this issue?
Attached Thumbnails third gen oil pan clearance-camaro-6.0-015.jpg   third gen oil pan clearance-camaro-6.0-016.jpg   third gen oil pan clearance-camaro-6.0-017.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be just as worried about the bottom of the pan that's hanging a foot below the k-member. What pan is that? Generally the only pan that thirdgenners use is the f-body pan.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

It's the gm muscle car pan. It's strictly a drag car so not to worried about the two inches below the k member.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not aware of anybody running that pan in a thirdgen specifically because of the lousy fitment, though for most it was the low-hanging part of the pan that caused people to shy away, but based on your pictures, it's also much bulkier at the front edge of the pan compared to the f-body pan the new aftermarket stuff. Since it's just a drag car, you could perhaps modify the center link, either by grinding it for clearance or "adjusting" it to bend down a tad. Otherwise my suggestion would be to get a different pan.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it is a drag car. .you could always limit the travel but increasing the size of the stops on the Lower Arm to limit the steering linkages to just clear the pan. You well loose some turning on lock to lock. but you shouldn't need it anyway.

yes. the Muscle /H3 pan is deeper in the front sump than a F-Body.. you can figure that out by looking at the windage trays and measuring it.. F-body uses only a 3/4 lenght one and Muscle one use a full lenght one.

Just hope you don't pull any wild wheel stands and slamming down to hard ..!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee

Just hope you don't pull any wild wheel stands and slamming down to hard ..!
My thoughts exactly. I would be worried about driving on and off of a trailer with it hanging that low.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

I wanted a f body pan but everyone wants a left nut for one! I might build a skid plate for extra protection.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see why there isnt more people cutting up truck pans and rewelding.. if you cant weld aluminum fine but there are plenty of people who buy the f-body pan just to chop 3 inches into the sump area and weld it shut when a truck pan can be found cheap and sometimes free

in your case you might be better off getting a truck pan cutting it shorter and adding to the front of the sump. find someone you know with a tig and buy them a case of beer or two
Old 11-07-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure but I am going to be using the Moroso big block tall engine mounts. It seems as though if you did that it would fix both problems by raising the engine about an 1"
Old 11-07-2011, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Mounts

You can just use the Tall and Narrow mounts that well add about 7/16" or more to raising the engine. (see the Energy Suspension page for info).

FYI, BBC frame mounts will off set the engine to the Passenger side some. I forget how much.!?

BC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: third gen oil pan clearance