Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid 90s truck swaps

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mid 90s truck swaps

I have a 95 suburban that I am considering swapping an LSx into, when the time comes. The mechanical part does not scare me, but the wiring does. I have been reading all kinds of swap threads on here, paying close attention to the wiring posts. I have seen some references to "piggy backing" computers. Could someone give me a high level explanation of how to do that, and if it would be necessary in this conversion scenario?

I am also curious how many people have done this conversion, and what type of road blocks were encountered? And, has anyone sucessfully transplanted the dash from a newer 2000s truck to an older 90s truck? I have seen some of the camaro guys do this, and it is an intriguing thought, since the dash in my 'burb is cracked and looking like hell and about to start bouncing again. ("fixed" it once)

Anyway, thanks for the info guys.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by so'm beach
I have a 95 suburban that I am considering swapping an LSx into, when the time comes. The mechanical part does not scare me, but the wiring does. I have been reading all kinds of swap threads on here, paying close attention to the wiring posts. I have seen some references to "piggy backing" computers. Could someone give me a high level explanation of how to do that, and if it would be necessary in this conversion scenario?

I am also curious how many people have done this conversion, and what type of road blocks were encountered? And, has anyone sucessfully transplanted the dash from a newer 2000s truck to an older 90s truck? I have seen some of the camaro guys do this, and it is an intriguing thought, since the dash in my 'burb is cracked and looking like hell and about to start bouncing again. ("fixed" it once)

Anyway, thanks for the info guys.
im in the middle of 5.3 swap right now and the wiring was intimidating at first but this site here --> www.lt1swap.com helped me a whole lot. so far the biggest hurdle for me is the wiring not because of difficult it was just because of how time consuming it is. im in probably about 10hours on this thing. feel free to check out my build on ls1truck.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...ders-pics.html

also as far as the dash ive read a few build threads where this has been done on ls1truck. good luck!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Thanks!! I'm half way through you build thread on ls1truck. I'm going to join that site, too, and do some searching on these swaps.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Good luck with the project you won't regret it! I've swapped a lq4 into my 95 z71. Do you plan on doing the harness yourself?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by scarybowtie
Good luck with the project you won't regret it! I've swapped a lq4 into my 95 z71. Do you plan on doing the harness yourself?
Well, I might try to do it myself to save some money. Is it very difficult, or does it just look intimidating? Were you able to keep your stock guage cluster working?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I swapped a 5.3 into my wife's 98 RCSB a couple years ago. The wiring seems pretty scary, but when you're done you'll look back and realize it wasn't so bad after all. All of my biggest fears were unwarranted and it went very smoothly. I run both computers, but looking back I'm probably going to build her a new engine in the next year and while I'm in there I want to eliminate the 98s original computer.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 11-21-2011, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

I used a hotwireauto harness. And yes I kept all of the factory gauges working. And I'm also using both computers, it seemed much easier to me. Don't see a problem with it
Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by so'm beach
Thanks!! I'm half way through you build thread on ls1truck. I'm going to join that site, too, and do some searching on these swaps.
awesome. ill try to keep it as updated as i can. im doing all the work myself. but s far as the harness its pretty simple. ill probably be using both computers in my truck. i think the ls pcm should fit right under the stock one
Old 11-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

Just keep in mind that some states require will not allow a truck motor in a car not sure of the opposite if you can put a car motor in a truck at least thats what I've been reading

Quick Reply: Mid 90s truck swaps