Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any tried and true Chevelle LSx Header/Mount combinations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are there any tried and true Chevelle LSx Header/Mount combinations?

I am piecing together my carb'd LY6 72 Chevelle build and am to the point of wanting to bolt it in the car and put some headers on. I have read countless build threads and have seen the issues with multiple brands of both. I would like input from someone that has been there and done that. I am not scraping my piggy bank to build this car but want to do it right the 1st time.

Coated or stainless is a must. I want longevity. Some of the brands options I have considered are (and not limited to)

Hooker (I like the black coating a lot but haven't been able to find much about them being used)
Edelbrock (seem to kill ground clearance and thats a no no for me)
Kooks (expensive and I haven't seen a single person use them but I know they make a great product)
Dougs (can't find much about them)
Pacesetter for 4th gen (seem to be a decent option but what mounts with them?)

I know that part of the fun of this stuff is making stuff work but I don't want to spend 600-1000 and have to modify them or be disappointed. Input is greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am a believer in the Dougs headers and mount adapters. Everything fit as advertised. The headers are excellent quality and fit like a glove, unlike the Edelbrock. Ground clearance is fantastic even though I have the engine sitting as low as possible in the chassis.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Teching In

I used Dougs on my 71 chevelle w/ls1 & T56 and have no clearance issues. I'm still building and used a combination of diif. parts as far as mounts but all looks good.
Old 11-24-2011, 03:34 PM
On The Tree

what oil pan you guys using ?
Old 11-24-2011, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

I bought a set of both Edelbrock and Dougs when I started my swap. And the respective mount adapters. I have a 66 Chevelle. The Dougs would not fit, at all, in my car. They sat on the frame before they got low enough to even mount to engine. Best I could tell I would have had to raise engine almost an inch to fit the Dougs. I didnt want to do that. I used the Edelbrocks. And while they do fit, they are a bizzlenitch to install. Especially the passenger side. And replacing the starter makes the "bizzlenitch" process necessary again. I have the Mast oil pan and I had to shim the mounts up about 1/4" to clear tie rod ends. I gave up keeping the coating on that side scratch-less. But, overall they look good. I do like the Dougs coating better though.

As for ground clearance...that has not been an issue at all. They do hang down but no more the the headers that were on my BB before the swap. I haven't scraped them once. I don't have air ride but I am lowered. And its pretty stiffly sprung so Im not bouncing up and down while I drive either.
www.modmusclecars.com
Old 11-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Teching In

I've got the hummer pan on mine right now but it hangs below the crossmember to much so I'm going to go with the mast or holley pan.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

F-body oil pan here.
Pacesetter 4th gen with dirty dingo slide mounts. I've got more than enough room all the way around. Only thing that is close is the steering column only has ~1/4" clearance between the headers

Quick Reply: Are there any tried and true Chevelle LSx Header/Mount combinations?